qb71811105

East River at Low Tide

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 hours ago, Hook I said:

Me thinks your ok  but Know the differences . If you mentioned a park name ... that’s a spot burn . To mention a 60’ drop :beatin: is a burn , anyone can google a map , re read my posts 

Agree, but just looked at my navionics and there’s over 5 miles of shoreline where you can easily cast into 60’.  

Edited by Bait Tailer

2 hours ago, Bait Tailer said:

Agree, but just looked at my navionics and there’s over 5 miles of shoreline where you can easily cast into 60’.  

Nautical charts by NOAA  is a better detail. Drop offs are defined much better. 

9 hours ago, fatbikerjoe said:

My grandfather used to swim in that river as a kid.  Of course, there were very few cars in NYC at the time also.

I also swam in the East River in the late sixties... And now I catching Blues, Stripers and Black fish in the East River...

14 hours ago, fatbikerjoe said:

My grandfather used to swim in that river as a kid.  Of course, there were very few cars in NYC at the time also.

Saw a guy swimming right in front of Astoria park this year. I couldn’t believe it. I was riding my bike over the triboro. 

On 10/23/2020 at 3:02 AM, Bait Tailer said:

Watch this 10 times, take good notes and get creative

Thanks for the video.  I watched it and headed out last night and this morning.   Did see some fish busting not sure what kind unfortunately didn't catch any.  I was having trouble feeling when I hit bottom.  I feel like I would cast out and then all of a sudden I am caught in some rocks before i know whats happening.  I think this might be me having too much slack out.  Put in a bulk order of jigheads and paddletails that I won't feel too bad about donating to the river.  Thanks everyone for the advice.

7 hours ago, qb71811105 said:

Thanks for the video.  I watched it and headed out last night and this morning.   Did see some fish busting not sure what kind unfortunately didn't catch any.  I was having trouble feeling when I hit bottom.  I feel like I would cast out and then all of a sudden I am caught in some rocks before i know whats happening.  I think this might be me having too much slack out.  Put in a bulk order of jigheads and paddletails that I won't feel too bad about donating to the river.  Thanks everyone for the advice.

Saw some shad and snappers the other night, but they might be small schoolies. There’s a ton of rain bait around. 

The rocks are gnarly.  I’m not sure what they’re called but they are vertical angled slabs, much like the outcrops along the shoreline.  The city has also dumped tons of boulder and rock construction debris around many spots. There’s also a good chance you might have found something like a shopping cart.  Last year I pulled in a bike frame wrapped in line with 3 bucktails and a few bait rigs.  

Really should have mentioned I don’t use the touchdown to start. If you just let the jig drop and wait to feel something, it’s gone. It’s all about the countdown while starting your retrieve.  then looking to tick the rocks during the retrieve. If you get snagged go lighter and change your countdown and retrieve speed.

Instead of a clear single touchdown point, think of it as a ongoing process that starts while you’re retrieving or swinging the jig. 
93D70F52-F621-41B9-A730-0142BEDE0CA2.jpeg.c6dffb3ca489c7adc1eb66cda73b6da7.jpeg

The entire path of the jig can be the descent without touchdown.  Or you could cast down current and feed out slack then use the lift swimming the jig up the side.  Endless options. With the crazy current and structure around here the best path is rarely a smooth even arc. That’s the creative part...

Edited by Bait Tailer
Forgot some of the description

Well I’m stoked to try some of this out.

There is very little current at my ER spot but I’ve been losing A LOT to the bottom and it kills me. Interesting to think about what you’re snagging though. Sometimes I’ll snag, drag the object a bit till it snags, then break off. 

1/2oz Texas rig with nose hooked paddle tail has kinda been my go to at the pier lately. Kinda wanna try it with some deceiver flies.

Edited by chuckbucktail

If you are getting hung up without feeling anything your jig is too light. 

You need to be able to feel it thump on the bottom and immediately lift it up.

Better than waiting to feel it, watch your line for the twitch when the jig goes to ground.

You can react a bit quicker this way. You have to lift before the jig rolls and the hook hangs up.

If you find a good bit of shoreline and fish it often you'll get a feel for how long a particular weight jig takes to get to the danger zone. We had spots to stand and landmarks to cast at for a 'safe' bottom hopping retrieve. And landmarks that we'd never cast to cuz it was a sure loss. It took a lot of time and many jigs to work it out. But the key word is work. Can't just cast all willy nilly and hope for success. Each cast is a couple bytes into the computer.

Solar green mono makes line watching a cinch. Braid makes it easier to feel. Personal choice.

If you go braid use a mono leader that will break before the braid or it'll get really expensive.

My buddy and I settled on 1 oz jig ball heads as our starting point. 90% of our catching was done with them.

jigtopcopy.JPG.718f6e9c27f7ee8d81120392eb513520.JPG

Generic jig heads and generic plastics bought in bulk served me well for many years.

Worms, tubes, "Stingray" grubs, shads. Somedays they seemed to want more wiggle, some days less or no wiggle.

White, yellow, pink & chartreuse. Darker colors never did as well as the bright ones. We experimented a lot and black was always a no go. Even during hot bites, trying to fish two rods each just to see :)

When the fish were running schoolie size I'd use 1 oz walleye bait jigs with thin wire hooks that would pull out of the snags.

I'd bend them back and they were good to go. I'd lose them before the hook broke and only lost one fish to the wire hook and it was easily 20lbs.

Short line, fish at my feet, 20# mono and one mighty head shake straightened the hook. 

But the fight was won :)

Edited by Ebbtide231
spilling

8 hours ago, Ebbtide231 said:

If you go braid use a mono leader that will break before the braid or it'll get really expensive.

Thanks for the advice.  It is very helpful.  When you say mono that will break before the braid do you mean a lesser rated mono.  For example usually it might be 20lb Braid -> 30lb leader where you are saying using 20lb Braid -> 10lb leader?

18 hours ago, chuckbucktail said:

Interesting to think about what you’re snagging though. Sometimes I’ll snag, drag the object a bit till it snags, then break off. 

I met a guy who ‘fished’ with supercharged magnets and cable off the piers in Brooklyn.  Some of his hauls were impressive.  People throw everything you can imagine off those piers.

qb,

I use/used 30lb braid and 20/25lb. mono. The mono always breaks first. You could probably use the same test for both since the braids seem to be way underrated (30lb. breaks at 50 etc). That's what I have on hand so that's what I use. 

Mother said we are not cheap, we are frugal. :)

Bait Tailer, I caught a bicycle once. Gave it to a kid and he rode it away. Hope he was careful cuz it had no seat.....

qb71811105, what fish did you caught? Try a casting egg or a casting float rig such as ones for sea trout and redfish. I have been doing good with this setup because it keeps my lure near the top and no snag in any tide so far. Good luck!

18 hours ago, Bluefishmaster said:

qb71811105, what fish did you caught? Try a casting egg or a casting float rig such as ones for sea trout and redfish. I have been doing good with this setup because it keeps my lure near the top and no snag in any tide so far. Good luck!

small striped bass.  what are you catching with the floating rig

Edited by qb71811105