qb71811105

East River at Low Tide

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello.  I recently started fishing the east river from the queens side.  The couple times I have been out so far it has been low tide +- 2hours.  Where I go I can see/hear fishing coming up and attacking the fish in the shallow water but I have not been able to catch anything.  I have been using 4 inch swim shads or one ounce bucktails.  I have not been able to catch anything even though I know the fish are there.   With it being low tide and everything being more exposed I am finding that I either get caught up in rocks or catch a bunch of seaweed.  Does anyone have any tips on what I should be doing?  Do I need to get better technique with the bucktails and shads?  Switch to topwater/floating lures?  Move to a new spot?  Thanks. 

Edited by qb71811105

I mostly fish the east river and overall it is not too good. Only reason I do is because it is right across the street. I have very little sucess using lures but have alot more success in the fall using bunker chunks. Put the time in try different things and you will see results.

If you are having trouble get caught up in the rocks and weeds try using an unweighted soft plastic rigged Texas style. It works for stripers too. 

If you hear action I would try poppers, also minnow baits like Bombers, Crystal minnows, etc. Kastmasters, and small tins reeled in fast so you don’t get snagged too.

Not sure the depth, but you could lighten the bucktail or add a grub on the bucktail to slow down its descent in the water column. Just an idea. It'll also be dependent on your gear, if you can throw 3/8 then may want to start there. I usually work my way up until I feel one or two hits on bottom then go back to the previous lure to know I am in the strike zone. They'll be there, I fished western sound and north part of the river for a while, there is plenty around. 

Good luck!

Maybe you are seeing snappers..... the ER is usually loaded with them about now. Down size your lures to catch them.

I never had much luck at low tide on the Queens side of the ER.... High slack current to about 3-4 hours into the ebb.... Hence the handle :)

By the zip code I'm assuming Astoria, near the Hells Gate?

If you're fishing anywhere near there - plenty of fish near the rocks but they're tough to catch.  You can try a Zoom fluke on a leadhead of 1.5-2 oz (don't let it sink too far otherwise you're donating lead to the sea), or a cheap popper that you don't mind losing (there are a lot of snappers and I believe shad in that water that the bass will feed on from time to time).  And try to fish closer to slack, when the current is running, especially near a full moon, you're asking for trouble.

I have fished there for many years bring about 50 Buck Tails ( you will lose a lot )  between 1 oz & 1 1/2 oz  50 lb floro leader = Wait till about Thanksgiving water is still warm 

2 hours ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

By the zip code I'm assuming Astoria, near the Hells Gate?

Yeah I am in Astoria.  Have been fishing around here and LIC but with no luck yet.  Thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, qb71811105 said:

Do big fish pass through that late or is it mostly schoolies?

That’s not late , you need to go by water temps . Who knows ? 

Small flashy tins (like 1-1.5") probably the easiest, just dont let it sink down far.  Likely just the snappers feeding.  

Fun on a light rod.

@The Fishing Nerd @Hook I

Let's not give away the game with specific locations and seasonal patterns. Yeah, I know, sorry it's just become my happy place... :violin:

QB For the next few weeks I'd stock up on  1/2, 3/4 1 and 1.5oz jig heads and a few bags of flukes or paddletail of choice. 

Focus on the current seams - rips eddies boils (really anything on the surface), then visualize the current moving over the structure to create those patterns on the surface.  

There's a shelf all along this entire section that drops quick.  Some are gradual steps some plunge from a few feet below low tide to well over 60'. Sometimes the current rushes up that slope other times across down and upsidedown all over itself. 

One night you'll find the right bait on the right edge and have the best fishing you can imagine. 

Youll definitely lose a lot of jigs but it's worth it if you stick with it.  

Watch this 10 times, take good notes and get creative

Edited by Bait Tailer

2 hours ago, Bait Tailer said:

@The Fishing Nerd @Hook I

Let's not give away the game with specific locations and seasonal patterns. Yeah, I know, sorry it's just become my happy place... :violin:

QB For the next few weeks I'd stock up on  1/2, 3/4 1 and 1.5oz jig heads and a few bags of flukes or paddletail of choice. 

Focus on the current seams - rips eddies boils (really anything on the surface), then visualize the current moving over the structure to create those patterns on the surface.  

There's a shelf all along this entire section that drops quick.  Some are gradual steps some plunge from a few feet below low tide to well over 60'. Sometimes the current rushes up that slope other times across down and upsidedown all over itself. 

One night you'll find the right bait on the right edge and have the best fishing you can imagine. 

Youll definitely lose a lot of jigs but it's worth it if you stick with it.  

Watch this 10 times, take good notes and get creative

Me thinks your ok  but Know the differences . If you mentioned a park name ... that’s a spot burn . To mention a 60’ drop :beatin: is a burn , anyone can google a map , re read my posts 

Edited by Hook I