Birdsnester

Favorite Fall Run Lure for Catching the Big Girls

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Truth be told, I suck at fishing.  Don't get me wrong, I catch the fall girls, pretty frequently too but never do I catch a Big Fat Girl.  I've tried to entice them with Big Fat Needles, Long Chubby Poppers, Flashy Shiny "Here I am" Tins, I even offer a Rubber from time to time.  Just can't land the Big One.

Sometimes I'll start a conversation by saying "Here Fishy Fishy".  But Nuttin'.  Always just the average Fall Girl comes my way.  

Some guys have all the luck!

So, what's your secret for catching the big girls in the fall?

^^^Agreed^^^
Bucktail can get it all done.

White, Yellow and something Dark are all you’ll ever need.

I tie mine very full so I don’t even have to worry about any type of trailer.

I have to be honest -  all of the big fish I caught and these were up to 47 pounds (I'm still working on that 50+) all have come on average every day size lures.  In my experience big baits don't necessary equate to big fish.   I think it's way more important to be precise in matching the hatch in combination with lure presentation.  This has been the key to my big fish success.  

I will also agree that where matters just as much. 

It's tough from the beach because the stripers need to come in. I've never caught a giant but time on the water, understanding bait patterns, and fishing the slack water will yield better results.  

A few years ago, an old friend of mine posted a picture of two larger (breeder) bass that he had killed boat fishing off of Montauk. Kinda pissed me off as a surf guy and conservationist. Point being, it's much easier when you can get to the fish and they have to migrate around a point. 

My personal best fall striper (42in, 30lbs+) came on a bone colored SP minnow. Think it was just right place at the right time and the SP matched the bait profile. 

1 hour ago, Sir Defyable said:

Sounds like it's not a "what you are throwing" problem but a "where you are throwing" problem 

Yeah I throw Jones Beach and it’s not been the same since Sandy

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sooo.....when guys are not catchin' and I'm the only one that is, they're lookin' at me like......walkin' off the beach as I passed a fella he says...."any luck"...my reply not to be a wise ass, it's not about luck, it's about technique......presentation IMO is 90% as long as the fish are there...luck doesn't even enter into the equation......most that I see fishin' couldn't present a bowl of dog food to a family pet...they have no clue, can't read the beach, the water, the flow, nothin.....but they invest their hard earned bucks into some very expensive equipment thinkin' that makes all the difference......It don't.

Was walkin' down the beach with my wife lookin' for sea glass and just as I bent over to grab a piece a young fella with his son had the same thing in mind....i said go ahead it yours....he said thanks and as I turned, I hear....."Hey I know You"....I replied "Really"....he says, "Your the guy who catches all the fish"....I said "sometimes"....my wife chimes in, "Don't tell him that, his head will explode"......reason I mention this is People are watchin' what your doin out there, always.....take the time to learn the trade......you'll enjoy it even more.....OK enough BS.....Lures.....ah ha.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Sooo.....when guys are not catchin' and I'm the only one that is, they're lookin' at me like......walkin' off the beach as I passed a fella he says...."any luck"...my reply not to be a wise ass, it's not about luck, it's about technique......presentation IMO is 90% as long as the fish are there...luck doesn't even enter into the equation......most that I see fishin' couldn't present a bowl of dog food to a family pet...they have no clue, can't read the beach, the water, the flow, nothin.....but they invest their hard earned bucks into some very expensive equipment thinkin' that makes all the difference......It don't.

Was walkin' down the beach with my wife lookin' for sea glass and just as I bent over to grab a piece a young fella with his son had the same thing in mind....i said go ahead it yours....he said thanks and as I turned, I hear....."Hey I know You"....I replied "Really"....he says, "Your the guy who catches all the fish"....I said "sometimes"....my wife chimes in, "Don't tell him that, his head will explode"......reason I mention this is People are watchin' what your doin out there, always.....take the time to learn the trade......you'll enjoy it even more.....OK enough BS.....Lures.....ah ha.

Great post!  If this was a Fluke post, I would be King Sh?t.  I got that presentation DOWN!  I catch Bass too but the big girls have eluded me.  I wish I fished next to someone who looked like they had their stuff together but sadly I just don’t see that person anywhere near me ever lol.  It’s all good!  Still love the sport.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hookin' up on a date with a Fat Girl / what I call'em.....for most is purely by accident...and for a few others it's their business.......It's their business to know when, it's their business to know where, it's their business to know how .....when they're out there, your not......when you understand this, you'll find yourself fishin' a long side a different class of fisherman.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal