Birdsnester

Favorite Fall Run Lure for Catching the Big Girls

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Truth be told, I suck at fishing.  Don't get me wrong, I catch the fall girls, pretty frequently too but never do I catch a Big Fat Girl.  I've tried to entice them with Big Fat Needles, Long Chubby Poppers, Flashy Shiny "Here I am" Tins, I even offer a Rubber from time to time.  Just can't land the Big One.

Sometimes I'll start a conversation by saying "Here Fishy Fishy".  But Nuttin'.  Always just the average Fall Girl comes my way.  

Some guys have all the luck!

So, what's your secret for catching the big girls in the fall?

Over the decades lures that consistently take larger fish in a given area where large fish are present would be large metal lipped swimmers, large pencils and large rubber shad baits and large eels. Slinging large bunker baits is another and don’t overlook this. If big is what I am after, this would be my #1. 

4 mins ago, redfin said:

Over the decades lures that consistently take larger fish in a given area where large fish are present would be large metal lipped swimmers, large pencils and large rubber shad baits and large eels. Slinging large bunker baits is another and don’t overlook this. If big is what I am after, this would be my #1. 

When you say Bunker baits are you saying baits that look like Bunker or bait fishing with live bunker or chunks?

any kind of swimmer that swims semi-deep works for me.

casting swimmer,CC pikie and a host of my own along with some of Andy's custom darters will get the job done.

try to keep the smaller fish away but,they do have balls at times and will attack.

if there are any larger fish around they will find the plug.

HH

This is dependent on the type of water, bait, day vs night, blitz fishing vs working structure etc. All the over slot fish I've caught this year were on 1oz bucktails when it was clear there was small bait around, at night, around structure. I would say whatever plug you are confident with is what you should use. 

On 9/26/2020 at 7:03 AM, Birdsnester said:

When you say Bunker baits are you saying baits that look like Bunker or bait fishing with live bunker or chunks?

Sorry, large pieces of fresh cut bunker. 

Fat girls are caught on darters and bucktails at night and jigs with tubes or poppers during the day in the fall, the mentioned lures have never failed me during the fall except for last season when I landed a 40lber on a bone SP MInnow, go figure......