Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ben Lippen

Whatcha all ben doing lately?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I've ben up to eyeballs in custom bookcases/shelving units. 

I build one or two to this customers specs.... then build another to a different spec. Then another... :wee: 0925201154.jpg.5d70dec3ab9bc21fca74ed9d0f7c1355.jpg

0925201153.jpg.ba0dc20cdb9bd2a2db798a676c044309.jpg

0925201109.jpg.90ffc875aec211ae3638c5929d2c85bb.jpg

0925201109b.jpg.52de6b2448e2c83d6a9f5d2c6500753d.jpg

0925201108.jpg.b6c19ba7d1365eeea925bfcea4f6afe4.jpg

Good stuff. I’m burning through the pt lumber repairing rotten structures, joists, posts, railings etc etc. 

Starting another house on Tuesday or Wednesday. Bunch of rotten railings and posts. Exterior stair parts. 

demo, measure, fabricate, install, caulk, paint. 

Replacing 3 toilets same house.

The way it’s going lately, customer satisfaction index is high. I’ll be doing more over there, no doubt.:)

Ripped up 300 ft of loose tile that had been masticed directly to ply and replaced it with Costco laminate. Nice and thick, but I don't think it will hold up like their stuff from 20 years ago. That stuff would dull blades like crazy because of it's silica content in the wear layer. This barely dulled the jigsaw blade I used for all the cuts. In the same unit I ripped out a tub surround of failing tile on greenboard and did porcelain 12x6 running bond on Hardi coated with Redgard. That'll hold! Replaced the valve and rough at the same time.

I'm about to head out and replace the bath sink in my skankiest unit with my skankiest tenant, a legacy from purchase. Something broke inside the hot valve causing it to run that replacing the washer didn't help at all. Easier to replace the whole thing that screw around trying to disassemble and fix an old POS. I keep cheap lav faucets in stock for just this reason. But this old wall hung sink has the faucets on a tilted face.  It's history.

Posted (edited) · Report post

59 mins ago, gellfex said:

But this old wall hung sink has the faucets on a tilted face.

Take that to the salvage yard and get paid for it. :th: 

Odd stuff is sometimes worth more. I once got paid $200.00  to dig an old clawfoot tub out of a backyard and dispose of it. Buried up to the lip for some reason. Put it in my van and was taking it to the scrap yard for weight. Stopped at my house for a beer and decided to hose it off just for grins. See what it looked like. I was amazed at how good it looked. Decided to take it by the salvage yard first and see if they might give me about scrap price. They looked at it and offered me $350.00 for it !!

Apparently it was an odd size and style.

Home run that day :) 

Edited by Ben Lippen

16 hours ago, RiverRaider said:

Nice:th:

Thanks. That stained set of cases were born out me finding that old Dietz #2 Fire Place Heater :  

After I found that, the homeowner designed  ( well, imagined ) and described  the base she wanted to me and I built it. She originally wanted tile on the top, but I talked her into using old random width pine boards that I could sand and distress. Then stain and poly. And then I had to build the flanking cases. Oh yeah, and the base was originally just  "square" at 30" wide x 26" deep. I tried to talk her into letting me "clip" the corners as it would look better and be much more functional. She nixed that. Until I built the cases and put them on each side, and pushed the chairs to wear she wanted them. :waiting:

Then she asked me to make the change , lol.  

what am I doing? LOL, I could use three of me right now. Currently finishing up a 10x10 addition,hip roof style. With a 225 sqrft deck attached to it. I did all the framing, roofing,siding, deck, painting and finish work for this project. Off to a 100k addition I scored this week. It's a 14x14 two story addition. Walk out basement into the bottom part which will be a screen porch area. On top is a 14x14 year round room, gas fireplace, 11 cottage style windows 6/0 grid pattern. Shed roof system, spray foam in the floor, walls and ceiling area in order to meet energy codes. Then back to my addition job to there basement, 35k job. So yeah I'm a little busy these days. I tell people now I'm busy till march of 2021. 

38 mins ago, gray gables said:

it'a a good an bad thing to have. Better this than what we had back in 08-09. F-those times that's for sure. 

Feast or famine. Yup.

Helping daughters family move into new, well new to them but built in 1936, house.  So far so good but they'd like to replace the current short wood rickety fence with privacy fence and gates to corral the dog and kids (5 and 2 1/2).  Lead time for vinyl fencing materials is 4 - 6 weeks, WTF?  Stay tuned.  Dog is at my house till this gets rectified.  Retirement not quite what I envisioned :dismay: 

Had to do some body work on the plow truck today. Found a tailgate on craigslist for 50 bucks that is in decent shape so put it on.  Old one was rotted pretty bad.  I ran out of paint so it didn't get painted.   I suk at painting.

vh1RX08VSCOyKIASeJGgFA.jpg

thumbnail-2.jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

YXjFqD97QGS%5%mE072SjA.jpg

On 9/26/2020 at 1:06 PM, Ben Lippen said:

Take that to the salvage yard and get paid for it. :th: 

Trust me, this piece has no charm whatsoever.  Getting it off was a nightmare. It was on a cleat, but the additional screws were stripped, and the only way was to get the oscillating tool behind it and cut them. Lucky I had a blade still sharp enough for that.  I'm going to be buying one of these diamond tools to sharpen them, I have a triangular diamond file but its hard to use on the harder, better blades or carbide teeth. It's like $25, but that's cheap when the damn blades are $10-15.

41Xe4xdFO0L.jpg