Albieaddict

Maine to FL in November - Where to stop?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I am making the trip again from Maine to FL in early November. Every year, I talk about stopping somewhere to fish - maybe NJ for bass, NC for XL albies, or even some big bull reds in SC, GA, or No. FL. I'll be towing an 18' Maverick HPX-V, so access is almost unlimited. 

If you were making the trip, where would you stop for a rest + fish day to break up the drive?

AA

Last year in early November I stopped to fish  for trout in the Davidson River in Brevard, NC. Did well with help from Davidson River Outfitters. 

46 mins ago, Albieaddict said:

I am making the trip again from Maine to FL in early November. Every year, I talk about stopping somewhere to fish - maybe NJ for bass, NC for XL albies, or even some big bull reds in SC, GA, or No. FL. I'll be towing an 18' Maverick HPX-V, so access is almost unlimited. 

If you were making the trip, where would you stop for a rest + fish day to break up the drive?

AA

Connor,  hope all is well.  Pick me up on the way through MA!  Kidding but sounds like a fun trip.  Something on the bucket list to fish my way to FL.

6 mins ago, HillTop said:

Connor,  hope all is well.  Pick me up on the way through MA!  Kidding but sounds like a fun trip.  Something on the bucket list to fish my way to FL.

Why not? I know what I am doing when I get to the Keys, if you can endure 24 hours in the car with me, you've earned the late season back country tarpon...

4 hours ago, Albieaddict said:

AA

Dude??  

What part of "global pandemic" don't you get?  You're not stopping anywhere if you know what's good for you.  Sheesh, and heading down to a high cluster f*^k state too boot?  Seriously?  Stay home, take up knitting, and go South next year.

Learn to tie classic salmon flies or something else productive.  You REALLY want to head to Florida??????? 

8 hours ago, Oakman said:

Dude??  

What part of "global pandemic" don't you get?  You're not stopping anywhere if you know what's good for you.  Sheesh, and heading down to a high cluster f*^k state too boot?  Seriously?  Stay home, take up knitting, and go South next year.

Learn to tie classic salmon flies or something else productive.  You REALLY want to head to Florida??????? 

Hah! I love it. I was down there when this started last year. I came back from backcountry camping for 4 days to discover the world was ending. We have a little slice of heaven - a lone Airstream trailer with a slip right in front. My commute was 7 steps on to a flats skiff, and then off without seeing another soul all day. I felt safer in that week in March than I have since. Wish I could have stayed the year.

I like the knitting idea. Tying flies is kind of lame. Will probably still elect to knit from a chickee, though, until the dolphins and skeeters start testing positive for COVID.

AA

2 hours ago, Albieaddict said:

Hah! I love it. I was down there when this started last year. I came back from backcountry camping for 4 days to discover the world was ending. We have a little slice of heaven - a lone Airstream trailer with a slip right in front. My commute was 7 steps on to a flats skiff, and then off without seeing another soul all day. I felt safer in that week in March than I have since. Wish I could have stayed the year.

I like the knitting idea. Tying flies is kind of lame. Will probably still elect to knit from a chickee, though, until the dolphins and skeeters start testing positive for COVID.

AA

Damn, now that sounds doable, pic of the trailer?  I always dreamed of gutting and re doing an Airstream, it's the boat guy in me, can't leave well enough alone.  Oh and PM me the address, maybe this time I could seal the deal on one of those fish you see before you cast. . .

Good luck with the trip, and one more question, where do you find "backcountry" to camp in Florida?  I lived there quite a while and can't remember anything like that, that was close to 35 years ago.  You got a patch of trees behind the Walmart?

Glad you're still kicking!

14 hours ago, Albieaddict said:

you've earned the late season back country tarpon...

Left OOB for Florida yesterday.  A day in  Mass visiting the kids and on the road to Naples tomorrow for the winter. Now when I think of “ backcountry tarpon” I don’t think of The Keys but more the 10,000 Islands or the Everglades. 

OK, you guys started it...

Pics below of the past few years. Nice spot with a better view (and the occasional dockside visitors!) We usually go north to the Glades in the off season (Nov-February) and camp in chickeees or on the beach, but only if the sunbathing gators don't spook the guys I'm with.

Oakman, if you are serious about going down, text me. This will be a weird year for sure as I try to avoid air travel, but I will absolutely let you know when some windows open up down there.

AA

Resized_20191205_172118.jpeg

Resized_20200515_195313.jpeg

Resized_20191205_175252.jpeg

20200419_130650.jpg

Resized_20200513_195757.jpeg

Resized_20200518_072302.jpeg

Resized_20200516_110255.jpeg

IMG_20200209_064804_799.jpg

IMG_20180208_210205_448.jpg

IMG_20180109_183049_141.jpg

IMG_20180109_183049_130 (1).jpg