Suave

Airflo Cold Saltwater Ridge Striper (intermediate) line: abrasive?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I fished that line for the first time during my recent striper fishing in the Baie-des-Chaleurs. Casting with my right hand and stripping in the line with my left hand (I'm not partial to a two-handed retrieve) while controlling it with the index finger of my right hand. And during the second or third 4-hour fishing session, I ended up with a bleeding  cut on the inside of the first knuckle of that index finger and two blisters on the outside of the middle knuckle of the third finger of the same hand. Just wondering if other SOL members have experienced the same thing with this line.

That aside, I really enjoyed casting that line. 

The Airflo ridge line can cut like a band saw - gloves, finger guards or waterproof tape (3m Nexcare) around the fingers prevent that.  It is good line, the low stretch makes it very sensitive.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Interesting. My cold water Striper intermediate is so old that it does not have these useless groves in the running line. The claims made for them are pretty outrageous. Not looking forward to the time I need to replace.

Sorry you have had this problem. If enough of us do then consumer pressure might get them to change.

I certainly get cut index finger joints on my line hand when hook setting  and the line slips even with smooth running line so have moved to a proper stripping glove on my left hand. Helps with Striper thumb to.

Even more now I  am upping my casting lessons  I realise that gimmicks like this are a very long way from making measurable improvements to our casts.

If it’s distance we seek only a very good cast will take care of that.

Marketing over fishability.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

I'm looking for an 8wgt Airflow Ridge line. Never had a problem with the line on any level. I'm using the Rio line with a clear head and lavender running line......cold water quick shooter or something like that. Cast like rocket its pretty good intermediate line. But I'd rather have a Ridge.

My line is a 10w and...is not for sale. I will continue fishing it but protecting my fingers as MLQ suggested. That's what I did for the remainder of my two-week stay in the Baie-des-Chaleurs.

Airflow ridge intermediate line is what I use 95% of the time.  Some water proof adhesive tape on my index finger prevents the line cut. The tape also provides some protection from the hook.

Manufacturers used to make smooth lines. Airflo made some great lines and many horrible. I hate Ridges. They cut fingers, retain dirt, are thicker for the same density and weight (take more space) and tend to be limp (which is good for head part and bad for running line part). The same thing applies to SA's texturing.

I am glad that Cortland and Rio have not jumped this band wagon and their lines are smooth.

For intermediate lines in my opinion Rio has the best formulas (FlatsPro and Leviathan) except for maybe the coldest temperatures. The temperature range is wide and they can be stretched straight and they are stiff - meaning that the running line does not tangle easily and shoots well.

Score! New 8wgt intermediate. My Rio Quickshooter line separated exposing the core about 30 ft or so down the running line. I've never suffered an injury from any of my Ridge lines but I'm sure there's always a first time for everything. 

I was wondering why the skin on my stripping fingers was softer after using the ridge line. Any amount of work will toughen up my skin in a few hours so my hands are pretty rough (for a girl). And here I am using a file on my callouses and tough skin, I should just cast more with the ridge line, lol.