LarryJ

What Portable GPS Do You Like.

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

What portable GPS do you recommend for a small watercraft (13' duck boat) that doesn't have battery or outboard that doesn't charge a battery.  I have an old Magellan SporTrak color handheld, and it's come in handy in the fog, but it's on its last leg.  Time to upgrade.  Thanks.

I have two Garmins that I use both on land and from a canoe.

One is a standard Oregon.  The other, which you might want to seriously consider if you're out duck hunting in mid-winter, is the Garmin inreach.  It's got an Iridium satellite connection (which costs a little extra for the subscription) but if you get into serious trouble out in the marsh, which can happen, you can hit an emergency button and get help.  I actually carry it on my boat offshore, as a backup to my VHF radio and EPIRB, because besides being a safety tool, it lets me send texts to my wife if I'm going to be in later than expected, etc., from anywhere, without regard to cell coverage.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Smartphone with a durable case is just as good as anything else on the market. Can even get an inreach like Cwitek said if you go off the grid...now you have a gps and satellite messenger. I've used the inreach mini paired with my phone (naivionics) 30 miles offshore and deep in the backcountry. Works great.

Edited by C.Robin

1 hour ago, C.Robin said:

Smartphone with a durable case is just as good as anything else on the market. Can even get an inreach like Cwitek said if you go off the grid...now you have a gps and satellite messenger. I've used the inreach mini paired with my phone (naivionics) 30 miles offshore and deep in the backcountry. Works great.

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

I have two Garmins that I use both on land and from a canoe.

One is a standard Oregon.  The other, which you might want to seriously consider if you're out duck hunting in mid-winter, is the Garmin inreach.  It's got an Iridium satellite connection (which costs a little extra for the subscription) but if you get into serious trouble out in the marsh, which can happen, you can hit an emergency button and get help.  I actually carry it on my boat offshore, as a backup to my VHF radio and EPIRB, because besides being a safety tool, it lets me send texts to my wife if I'm going to be in later than expected, etc., from anywhere, without regard to cell coverage.

16 hours ago, beret said:

Navionics app on your phone will work fine..........just a thought

Thanks for the replies.  I didn't get an email notice, so wasn't aware there were responses.

I should have been more specific.  I'm looking for something that will allow me to store waypoints and work without phone service.  I don't want to use my phone as a main gps.  The gps also should float.  Thanks

Just now, LarryJ said:

Thanks for the replies.  I didn't get an email notice, so wasn't aware there were responses.

I should have been more specific.  I'm looking for something that will allow me to store waypoints and work without phone service.  I don't want to use my phone as a main gps.  The gps also should float.  Thanks

Got it. Just a heads up, you don't need phone service for most GPS/trail apps (like navionics) to work. To make any GPS float, you will likely need an aftermarket case. 

20 mins ago, LarryJ said:

I’d say either of the Garmins, then, which one depending upon whether you want the safety backup.

On 9/25/2020 at 8:18 PM, beret said:

Navionics app on your phone will work fine..........just a thought

On 9/26/2020 at 0:51 PM, C.Robin said:

Got it. Just a heads up, you don't need phone service for most GPS/trail apps (like navionics) to work. To make any GPS float, you will likely need an aftermarket case. 

On 9/26/2020 at 1:08 PM, CWitek said:

I’d say either of the Garmins, then, which one depending upon whether you want the safety backup.

Well the old Sportrak color that I haven't used in 5 years and was having trouble locking onto my new address finally locked on satellites, so this will work.  I also found a backup Sportrak Color for $20 that I'll use.  I also have a handheld VHF radio.  If I decide to venture into big water, which isn't likely, I'll buy a personal locator becon (PLB).  I like the ACR RestQLink.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a Garmin 478 preloaded with all North America on my skiff goes from boat to car can weather on it also. They used to cost around $900.00 

This stores stores your travel does it all in a nice smaller unit I love mine

D93ABCF6-586A-4D20-B936-ACCCC9A34459.png

Edited by mkus

i have a hummingbird i never really used. bought it for rental boats on base but only used it once. its a nice setup, light and has its own battery. i have it for sale in the BST forum.

hummingbird helix 5 g2 portable