Cerealkilla43

When do the bigger stripers usually start moving into the surf?

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, suntzu said:

1998 - need a flux capacitor to find bigger stripers in NJ surf

I was about to post the same year lol. High school years for me 

1 hour ago, suntzu said:

1998 - need a flux capacitor to find bigger stripers in NJ surf

A TARDIS would be useful too. :D

When Delaware Bay was hot we would start Columbus Day this was at least seven years ago. For the stripers to get to the bay of course they had worked their way down the beaches. It was colder earlier back then so I suspect the migrations has slowed somewhat with the warmer temps. That said the dinks are already here as I had two on Friday with bait, the bass and terns working small bait in close. So it would make sense to start now finding places with structure to fish when it gets going. One nuance I did notice as the beach people get fewer the fishing get better. I think most beaches  have a preferred wind direction and tidal stage which could be investigated now. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

All kidding aside the bigger bass don’t regularly push along the beachfront anymore, now and again yes, but is the exception not the rule. Why? Some will tell you it’s because the jetties are gone snd the beaches are flat because of replenishment- but I don’t believe that; its all about bunker. These days there are miles and miles of bunker from 500 yards to 10 miles off the beach; I am looking at them right now. The migratory bass feast on these, no reason to come along the beach and take a risk and work; easy pickens just off shore. We see the boats pound these fish every year. 

Was not always the case. Years ago the bunker reduction boats with spotter planes would suck up all this biomass; the only big pods of bunker left where those tight to the beach - and the bigger bass were on them

that changes with the passing of the bunker bill, led by the people on this site, forcing the reduction boats off shore and TimS biggest contribution to the striped bass fishery when the histories are written, has led to a massive increase in the bunker biomass which is great for the predators of all kinds, but not good if you hope to get into a predictable bite of surf caught fish over 35” - just how it is, and a trade off I am happy to make

Edited by suntzu

One man's opinion when I asked that question was "Bluefish". We need to have the big blues in numbers to push the bunker onto the beaches. The big bass will follow. The last two larger bass I have caught were when blues were all over the place in the 10# to 20# class. Short of those choppers we need a lot more bass and a lot more bigger ones. As the population expands, so too does the territory.

In the mid to late 80s we had tons of big, adult bunker on the beach with oversized blues on them the majority of the time from late August all the way through November.  No bass though.  Can't catch what isn't in the ocean.  The graph coincides with the number of blues around at that time.

BluefishLandings_2020.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

39 mins ago, JoeGBreezy said:

One man's opinion when I asked that question was "Bluefish". We need to have the big blues in numbers to push the bunker onto the beaches. The big bass will follow. The last two larger bass I have caught were when blues were all over the place in the 10# to 20# class. Short of those choppers we need a lot more bass and a lot more bigger ones. As the population expands, so too does the territory.

The bunker are on the beach. They were on the beach this spring too. It still didn’t happen. Bass don’t need blues to push them in. 

Edited by SurfCaster01289