Lateral Line

Green slime algae bloom

14 posts in this topic

Last eve, i walked to the local lake for some anything I could find. I caught a couple different small fish, but avoided the the algae / greenish water area.

There was not much doing, but I did notice some movement and small life in the green water. Not thick green, but noticeable. Just before dark a large fish busted on a lily pad in the green crap. Makes me thinks I should rethink my strategy of avoiding those areas.

I'm not a big largemouth fisherman and mostly get them as by catch while targeting others. But, I do have some stuff to "frog" a bit.

Do you guys see these blooms ? Do you fish there anyway? These are not extreme conditions of green or bloom I see, but noticeable.

Thanks

Some algae blooms are worse than others.

Blue-green algae is typically known as being toxic (to non-aquatic life).

I've had 2 experiences with in my years fishing. That's 2 more than I'd wish on anyone else.

Both times I got my legs wet getting onto my kayak, and both times it felt like my legs were on fire, and both times I ended up with a nasty rash.

Since then I'm overly cautious about the waters I fish. I still go out a LOT, but I'm careful to check the water where I launch.

Some times I've gone out during some nasty green algae blooms and just gave up. When the water has the color of green cocoa, and a white plastic worm disappears within the top 5-6 inches of water, I figured the fish would never be able to see the lure.

Luckily moving waters rarely, if ever, experience algae blooms.

Posted (edited) · Report post

You sure it’s an algae bloom and not your lake turning over.

big difference in fishing

You are in Pa right? With the recent cold nights many lakes are doing the fall turnover, water on top is colder then water on bottom so that bottom water comes up and looks green brown with sediment 

Edited by Captain Ahab

More and more of the ponds in SE MA now develop algae bloom during the summer months. It does not seem to harm the fishing. I have done well casting frogs in heavy cover. But my favorite and most successful lure has been a spinner bait. I prefer a SB with a single spin Colorado blade. My son does even better with a SB with tandem painted blades (Colorado/Willow).

On 9/26/2020 at 5:17 AM, Captain Ahab said:

You sure it’s an algae bloom and not your lake turning over.

big difference in fishing

You are in Pa right? With the recent cold nights many lakes are doing the fall turnover, water on top is colder then water on bottom so that bottom water comes up and looks green brown with sediment 

It's been around most of the summer

I fish a small lake for bass that is near my house. I fish there whenever I get a chance, usually after dinner just before dark. I have been doing pretty well until that green slimy algae started to appear about 2 weeks ago. Ever since I can't even get a hit. The bass just completely turned off. It looks almost like duck weed from a distance but it's more like a slimy green slick on the water. Same color green as duck weed. It doesn't foul my lures but the bass just seem to avoid it. It has completely covered the entire lake now.

1 hour ago, Flip n Dip said:

I fish a small lake for bass that is near my house. I fish there whenever I get a chance, usually after dinner just before dark. I have been doing pretty well until that green slimy algae started to appear about 2 weeks ago. Ever since I can't even get a hit. The bass just completely turned off. It looks almost like duck weed from a distance but it's more like a slimy green slick on the water. Same color green as duck weed. It doesn't foul my lures but the bass just seem to avoid it. It has completely covered the entire lake now.

Interesting for sure. My local lake has this green mung along the shore. 

The bass guys are getting fish inshore. Looks like the crappie and perch stay on the outside of this stuff.

Got the same stuff in a few of the lakes I fish. It seems to be mainly in the shallows, and by shallows I mean up to around 4'-5'.  Stuff is almost a florescent green, and is similar to snots or phlegm. Huge patches of it. Starts coming up in late April. By Memorial Day. you can't fish these areas. No sense in it anyway seeing as there's never any fish around it. The stuff is called filamentous algae I believe. When you go to fish these areas, you hope the days before were really windy so the gunk blows away to one area. The stuff is just these HUGE green blobs, and each year it seems to be getting worse.

To catch fish, you need precision casting casting to get your bait around it, and then sort of work your rod and line to move your lure around it. Then it dies, and makes a whole new scum on the bottom which is now black instead of green. And impossible to get of your bait line and hook.

I won't fish these areas now until later this month. Hopefully by then it will have died back enough to fish suspended baits. However seeing how water levels are way down  this year, I may just avoid these spots altogether. And hope these shallow lakes and shallow flats in the deeper lakes fill back up for spring.

Already looking forward to 2021!

20 hours ago, The TideRunner said:

Got the same stuff in a few of the lakes I fish. It seems to be mainly in the shallows, and by shallows I mean up to around 4'-5'.  Stuff is almost a florescent green, and is similar to snots or phlegm. Huge patches of it. Starts coming up in late April. By Memorial Day. you can't fish these areas. No sense in it anyway seeing as there's never any fish around it. The stuff is called filamentous algae I believe. When you go to fish these areas, you hope the days before were really windy so the gunk blows away to one area. The stuff is just these HUGE green blobs, and each year it seems to be getting worse.

To catch fish, you need precision casting casting to get your bait around it, and then sort of work your rod and line to move your lure around it. Then it dies, and makes a whole new scum on the bottom which is now black instead of green. And impossible to get of your bait line and hook.

I won't fish these areas now until later this month. Hopefully by then it will have died back enough to fish suspended baits. However seeing how water levels are way down  this year, I may just avoid these spots altogether. And hope these shallow lakes and shallow flats in the deeper lakes fill back up for spring.

Already looking forward to 2021!

That's the stuff.

It sucks.

The good news is that the stuff should be gone.

The bad news is that the waters (depending on your location) may be changing over.

That means the waters will be colder at the surface and fish will be gradually be moving to their winter spots.

Doesn't mean you can't still catch them, just that your tactics and their locations may be different.

On 10/19/2020 at 0:48 PM, FishermanTim said:

The good news is that the stuff should be gone.

The bad news is that the waters (depending on your location) may be changing over.

That means the waters will be colder at the surface and fish will be gradually be moving to their winter spots.

Doesn't mean you can't still catch them, just that your tactics and their locations may be different.

Got out yesterday and the stuff was gone. Instead of green snots it's now black sludge that acts like scummy glue and sticks to jigs baits etc. Still a lot of weed growth here in CT. but the good news is that makes it easy to find fish. Not tooting my own horn, but I was on fire yesterday. Wacky worm,and topwater, I had about 30 fish in just under 3 hours. Plus a lot more misses from not paying attention. Nothing huge. Biggest about 15"

I'll fish this one lake until Thanksgiving. By then water will be crystal clear.

Passed another small lake on the way to this one, and it was covered in what appeared to be duckweed. Thought that was kind of odd.

I didn't use the FF yesterday because I know this lake better than my backyard. so I couldn't get a water temp.

Posted (edited) · Report post

As of recent weeks I've been seeing significant globs of filamentous algae growing on rocks and in the eel grass beds in sections of the Susquehanna River just a few miles upriver from Harrisburg.  Mostly on the western shore.  Out in mid-river the quantity of algae is much less.

Edited by HJS

7 hours ago, HJS said:

As of recent weeks I've been seeing significant globs of filamentous algae growing on rocks and in the eel grass beds in sections of the Susquehanna River just a few miles upriver from Harrisburg.  Mostly on the western shore.  Out in mid-river the quantity of algae is much less.

How bad is this, if at all?

I did not do well in the shallow waters of my local lake. No real movement in the lake.