Fredrick

Boot foot waders

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I am in need of a new pair of boot foot waders to fish the surf was curious on what everyone's favorite pair of boot foots are . The pairs I own are on there last patch job so to speak and I am looking for ideas on what new pair to get . 

Thanks 

Bootfoot breathables are hard to find these days, I'll never understand that. I have LLBean Emergers. 2 years in, they don't get heavy use, but so far, so good, and I love the fact they are cut a little slimmer than most. I am not a big guy, and these fit well, not baggy or clunky. 

Depends on your budget.  I bought Caddis breathable recently for $200.  They are decent but if I were to do it again I would spend a little more and get Orvis.

Had a pair of Orvis that lasted me 15 years before leaking.  

I've had Caddis,Orvis,LL Beans.Tha Caddis lasted about 4 years of moderate use.I found the boots were heavy but the pipple treads I liked except on slippery rocks.The Orvis I still use at times and the boot is lighter and has felt soles and a bit baggier overall.The LL Beans are a lace up boot that was only around for a couple of years.I still use them for long walking places but the tongue is very stiff and can be chafing if the laces aren't just right along with the wader sock not bunching at the ankle/tongue area.I've gone to stockingfoots[Reddington{great waders} and Simms] mostly now since past living in Maine[2012-17].Back on Cape I like the support of the stockingfoots with studded felt soles on Korker interchangeable sole boots[I've had no issue with sand migration into the boot for the most part].A couple of friends have Frog Togg bootfoots and they say they've held up pretty well for them so far.One of them is an oysterman and beats his gear up.For quick run and gun bootfoots I like.Both types are in the truck.

Orvis Bootfoot Encounter waders were/are terrible!! Do not buy them.

I had four different pairs fail in the seam just below the waist in a matter of weeks. This line has now been replaced but I would be very wary of trying their replacement. I should add that they did ultimately refund my money but the whole thing was both frustrating and disappointing.

It used to be that Orvis offered boot foot waders in a higher level in their line but no longer. Apparently someone there thinks that only entry level bootfoots are necessary.

Yeah, on my second pair of Orvis somethingorothers already. Warranty exchange, but the first pair leaked within a month or 2, so don't hold out much hope for long term on these. It's a shame, but there is just not a big enough market for bootfoot breathables.

I had chotas which lasted a good number of years, over 5. but if you get a bootfoot from anyone that lasts more than a few years, thank your lucky stars.

Those LLBeam kennebec's look good, I'll keep that reference for the future when these Orvis get leaky.

A very timely topic for me. I spent last week in Rhode Island dumping sand out of my stockingfoot wader boots. I swore I was buying boot foots after the same thing last year, but didn't. 

My flip flops are pretty durable, although I discovered my right ankle is blue on the inside and a few more dings here and there. I wonder how much longer i can wade like this in the North East.

1 hour ago, MikeMc said:

A very timely topic for me. I spent last week in Rhode Island dumping sand out of my stockingfoot wader boots. I swore I was buying boot foots after the same thing last year, but didn't. 

They don't make it your size. bootfoot have no ankle support, you'll roll you ankles and fall on your ass again. 

4 hours ago, MikeMc said:

What kind of boots do you wear? I have korkers and fish the beaches here on the Cape.The ocean beaches with waves do increase the issue of sand migrating into the boot.Mine have the mesh top around the laces and do let fine sand inside and between the inner mesh above my foot.To solve this issue I took a razor and slit the inside mesh at the sole line about 2-3 " behind the big toe joint backwards towards the heel on each side.When I wash out the boot after fishing the sand comes out of the mesh by using your fingers to move the sand from above where your arch would be.If you let them dry out completely the sand just comes right out with help from your fingers and tapping.The loose mesh doesn't ride up at all effecting comfort.Even with the sand I've not had my foot packed in sand like I did have with a pair of Choata boots.These boots are 8+ years old and holding up well.Just a thought and it's worked for me.

Posted (edited) · Report post

My boots are Cabela's, the waders from Beans. I get so much sand in them it starts hurting to walk. The gravel guards don't do a good enough job of keeping the sand out. 

Hey Rail rider, :moon:

Edited by MikeMc