ThrowinPlugs

How far can you toss a live eel?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So I had my first real try at using live eels this AM. Hooked up with a fat 30" bass on the first cast. It was relatively close, having reeled it in about half way. But the more I threw them the more I realized eels are NOT as aerodynamic as their rubber counterparts. Im getting maybe 30-50 yards (and 50 is stretching it). I'm using a 10' GSB 1201m and a vs250 with 50lb braid tied to a 3 foot leader of 60lb mono. Each eel was about 12-14 inches. Thickness of a finger so maybe 2-3 oz.

Realistically, how far can you launch a live eel?

Edited by ThrowinPlugs

Honestly that sounds about right. Eels just are not a good long distance option. You need to find those locations where you can make a good presentation without an overly long cast.

Okay cool, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't somehow losing a bunch of distance. Average was 20-30 yards unless the wind picked up from behind lol. Thanks guys.

Honestly TP, throwing out as far as possible isn't always best. As you said, the fish you caught was in close. That is where you will most likely get hit, ready to lift eel out of the water. That's where I've gotten most of mine, scares the living crap when so close but OH so good

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

So I had my first real try at using live eels this AM. Hooked up with a fat 30" bass on the first cast. It was relatively close, having reeled it in about half way. But the more I threw them the more I realized eels are NOT as aerodynamic as their rubber counterparts. Im getting maybe 30-50 yards (and 50 is stretching it). I'm using a 10' GSB 1201m and a vs250 with 50lb braid tied to a 3 foot leader of 60lb mono. Each eel was about 12-14 inches. Thickness of a finger so maybe 2-3 oz.

They don't cast very far. However, when I do use them, I'm usually throwing them into or along rips that are close to land so distance usually doesn't matter too much.

If you wanted extra distance, or wanted to get them down deeper, you could always use a slip sinker, texas rigged style.

Edited by zak-striper

26 mins ago, Surffishing47 said:

Honestly TP, throwing out as far as possible isn't always best. As you said, the fish you caught was in close. That is where you will most likely get hit, ready to lift eel out of the water. That's where I've gotten most of mine, scares the living crap when so close but OH so good

I get that, its more of a wondering thing. There is one area I can easily reach with plugs thats productive but couldnt imagine reaching it with an eel. Good to know though.

4 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

I get that, its more of a wondering thing. There is one area I can easily reach with plugs thats productive but couldnt imagine reaching it with an eel. Good to know though.

A problem with trying to throw them max distance is that they'll be tearing off your hook more frequently.

Idally eeling is done with a conventional so you can let line out. If you want more distance hook them on and jiggle your rod tip this will keep them from balling up @Stewie taught me this. before I was smaking their head on the ground to stun them so they don't ball up.  He also introduced me to the rubber core sinker its the way to go

1 hour ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

are you the guy that's moving to NJ?

3 mins ago, t_man7 said:

If distance is a big issue like a rip that is a little ways out that you cant reach in waders wear a wetsuit.   (If you arent already)

:agree: