dugal30

One of “Those Nights”

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had a fb memory pop up this morning and it really got me going.

This is a honey hole I found on the south shore of Nantucket.  Now I’m 35, been surf casting since 6th grade.  I was hooked since the first time my uncle took me out to Race Point.  I haven’t taken as many casts as most of you here, but I’ve done quite a bit.

This hole was automatic under certain conditions (last half of drop, 3am-dawn, ripping current east to west).  on those nights you’d have a steady pick.

Last night of my season in early October, a school of 25-30lb fish moved through and I had them all to myself.  Hook, release, repeat.  I was shaking.  What a night, one for the books.

Thanks fb for the memory!

3DD8051D-549E-4874-9E4C-085DAAED205B.jpeg

Edited by dugal30
dawn not dusk

yup those are the fun memories...

i still remember an early Sept night at the canal in early 00s...fishing a very popular, normally crowded spot that was completely empty this night...a school of 35lbers had decided to camp out in the rip in front of me, i landed 5 fish on sluggos between 45 and 46 1/2 inches, plus a dozen smaller fish...i left them biting because i was exhausted from reeling in fish, and the whole time not another fisherman in sight... 

23 hours ago, dugal30 said:

I had a fb memory pop up this morning and it really got me going.

This is a honey hole I found on the south shore of Nantucket.  Now I’m 35, been surf casting since 6th grade.  I was hooked since the first time my uncle took me out to Race Point.  I haven’t taken as many casts as most of you here, but I’ve done quite a bit.

This hole was automatic under certain conditions (last half of drop, 3am-dawn, ripping current east to west).  on those nights you’d have a steady pick.

Last night of my season in early October, a school of 25-30lb fish moved through and I had them all to myself.  Hook, release, repeat.  I was shaking.  What a night, one for the books.

Thanks fb for the memory!

3DD8051D-549E-4874-9E4C-085DAAED205B.jpeg

There’s some amazing stretches along that south shore.  I had a predawn morning very similar to yours a few years back over Columbus Day weekend.  Once we stepped on the beach, we could smell the fish (despite the strong NE wind).  I hope to repeat that bite this year.  I can’t wait to get back, see some great people, and hopefully catch some fish!