Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

What's this hook system call?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I saw it on a video, but basically you snell a hook, then you slide another hook on top of the snelled one then goes to the main line so that you have 2 hooks on the leader to hook onto the crab. 

I couldn't see the rest clearly and it is not a snafu hook which you do tie both hooks. 

10 hours ago, Mike said:

Sweatheart. At least that's when the hooks are aligned so they sit point to point on the leader.

I always aligned them parallel...and used 2 peices of crabs, or even 2 small whole crabs.  With the larger white or green i would stick a single crab with both hooks.  I was never about increasing my chances of hooking a fish with 2 hooks.  I found if you couldn't catch one with a single then a 2 hook rig didn't help you much.  having 2 hooks made bait choices more flexible to the fish and it was on me to figure out the flavor of the day. 

I add a second hook to jigs. Like Adrian, not looking to hook a fish with two hooks. I'm so bad at the jig bite that I need second chances!

45 mins ago, Kml said:

Who’s Adrian?

Haven't seen him in years.

1 hour ago, Fly By Nite said:

I always aligned them parallel...and used 2 peices of crabs, or even 2 small whole crabs.  With the larger white or green i would stick a single crab with both hooks.  I was never about increasing my chances of hooking a fish with 2 hooks.  I found if you couldn't catch one with a single then a 2 hook rig didn't help you much.  having 2 hooks made bait choices more flexible to the fish and it was on me to figure out the flavor of the day. 

It is called a slider rig-and useful when the Bite is finicky or very light, small piece of crab, on each Hook.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Stinger

Yes, or slider on top of the jig like we were fishing one day with chris, which is easier to de hook the shorts.

I stopped using the Stinger, or snelled leader to the Jig, up in RI, was a huge PIA , LOL cause when they hit the Jig the stinger was also hooking them in the head, the eye, the side, and if it was a good fish, the stinger always got caught in the net another huge PIA.

51 mins ago, Mike said:

I add a second hook to jigs. Like Adrian, not looking to hook a fish with two hooks. I'm so bad at the jig bite that I need second chances!

In RI they ripped the rod outta your hand !!! 

I was getting cocky, with the stinger on the Jig, so much so, that when I felt the Initial thump, I lifted the rod slightly, felt a little resistance, and Bam set the hook. After the first day, I stopped using the stinger , as stated above.Down here I will use it.

Someone last year that they moved of the slider because it puts a lot of pressure on the snelled hook and it could pop on a good fish. 

I go back and forth depending on the day.

6 mins ago, Kml said:

Someone last year that they moved of the slider because it puts a lot of pressure on the snelled hook and it could pop on a good fish. 

Slayer.  

Slacker has always refused such hackery.

2 hours ago, Kml said:

That's a bigdeal Dik thing, too.  In addition to Slayer.

I've only heard it as a Slider.  Stinger to me is putting another hook off the bottom of a jig or tied to the first hook, like with a long strip bait.