BathtubGin

Surf Rods throwing Plugs 1-2.5oz

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I have a 9' St. Croix Triumph. Rated .5-2.5. When I throw heavier lures (like the SS Popper at 2 3/8) - it just feels so whimpy. It's great for 1-1.5 but anything over that, I feel like I'm going to break it...

Anyone have any experience with the 9'6" Tsunami Airwave Elite or Star Stellar Surf? They are rated up to 3oz... Wondering if it would make a difference.

I just picked up that 9'2" Skinner Dark Matter rod that just came out. I was throwing a SS littleneck popper into the wind pretty well the other night. Didn't feel like it was overloaded at all. Got a couple of nice schoolies with it, haven't caught any large fish with it yet, but I like the rod so far.

5 mins ago, GP100 said:

I just picked up that 9'2" Skinner Dark Matter rod that just came out. I was throwing a SS littleneck popper into the wind pretty well the other night. Didn't feel like it was overloaded at all. Got a couple of nice schoolies with it, haven't caught any large fish with it yet, but I like the rod so far.

I was looking at that. I saw his video on it and it seemed like it would do the trick. It's a lot more expensive than the other two rods I mentioned. I could swing it - but then it just opens up shitloads of options... 

I used to have the 9'6 AW elite ... It may be rated to 3 but 2.5 felt like it was being pushed a bit past it's comfort zone...

It's got an aggressively fast action, which I tend to like in rods for certain things, but it didn't load well with weight...

IMHO a mod or mod-fast rod may have a sweet spot, but it will handle a wider range of weights more effectively..

While I find a stiffer faster action rod to excel in a small range of weight, but be more limited over all.

My nephew picked up a star surf rod and let me try it.  I was really impressed.  It felt mod or mod fast and it seemed to cast itself.  Effortless casting was my first impression.  I did not catch anything but it casts really well.  His was the 10th rod

who hasn't dealt with that annoyance?  commercial rod makers lie like rugs all too often when it comes to rod payload ratings.  for the consumer, it's just another form of gambling - unfortunately. 

51 mins ago, BeachBob said:

who hasn't dealt with that annoyance?  commercial rod makers lie like rugs all too often when it comes to rod payload ratings.  for the consumer, it's just another form of gambling - unfortunately. 

while I agree with you 100%, and have complained about the same thing for 20 plus years, there is a bit of slack I will cut the manufacturers here. there is a gigantic difference in how hard and with what technique one caster casts versus another. I've had rods that people told me had a sweet spot of four based on their experience that for me were overloaded with two and a half. I'm sure it goes the other way around also. just go stand on the beach and watch 10 people cast and you'll see that the variations of power with which they hit the rod is endless.

if you want to really get messed up buy some rods from the UK and look at their rating. they are typically rating on a full-blown pendulum cast. I have a UK Rod rated to 5 oz that I can throw 10 with

10 hours ago, BathtubGin said:

I have a 9' St. Croix Triumph. Rated .5-2.5. When I throw heavier lures (like the SS Popper at 2 3/8) - it just feels so whimpy. It's great for 1-1.5 but anything over that, I feel like I'm going to break it...

Anyone have any experience with the 9'6" Tsunami Airwave Elite or Star Stellar Surf? They are rated up to 3oz... Wondering if it would make a difference.

I guess a different way to ask this question is ... what's the sweet spot of the rod and what is it (weight wise / lure wise) you are mostly going to throw?

The TAE 9'6" 2M is a great all around rod in the 1 to 2 ounce range. Either side of the sweet spot might be marginally disappointing. It's action IMO is better suited to pencil poppers than say buck tails. It handles all lures reasonably well in that sweet spot range, just some better than others ... again "marginally". It's just personal preference for the rod's action under your typical / normal operating conditions.

For 2 ounce plus plugs like the SS Little Necks ... an ODM DNA 935 rod is better than the TAE. But that's my opinion and I've owned & used both rods. Because of price (got a deal on a used rod at around $200) ....I kinda split the difference ....  I prefer the ODM Genesis 9ft 93 to the two rods mentioned above. But I'm mostly using 1.5 to 2 ounce lures and I just like its action better.

Finally ... the Star Rods like others (which I don't have any experience with) are worth a look. But I think the best approach is based on what lures will I likely be throwing 75% of the time.... and with some input from here at SOL and store "wiggle" ... what's the rod action I personally like?

1 hour ago, KironaFly said:

I guess a different way to ask this question is ... what's the sweet spot of the rod and what is it (weight wise / lure wise) you are mostly going to throw?

Yes - that's what I should be asking!

8 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I used to have the 9'6 AW elite ... It may be rated to 3 but 2.5 felt like it was being pushed a bit past it's comfort zone...

Thanks - exactly what I was worried about! Good info.

2 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

My nephew picked up a star surf rod and let me try it.  I was really impressed.  It felt mod or mod fast and it seemed to cast itself.  Effortless casting was my first impression.  I did not catch anything but it casts really well.  His was the 10th rod

I bought a Star Stellar Inshore rod mostly based on price. I love it. I think the lure rating is accurate, it feels great, and there's something that's just cool about it. Probably just superficial stuff - but the finish looks great, the logos are cool, the guides are done well. It's a cheaper rod - but it doesn't leave me wondering what more expensive rods would be like. Every time I use my Triumph I think to myself "I should really upgrade". I don't do that with the Star Rod.

Might have to get one of those Star Surf Rods.

1 hour ago, Thumb-Burner said:

there is a gigantic difference in how hard and with what technique one caster casts versus another.

That makes sense.... 

12 hours ago, BathtubGin said:

I have a star stellar surf 10' 2-5 oz, it's a great rod but 5 oz is pushing it and I don't feel comfortable really laying into a cast above 4 oz.  If you want to be able to launch 3 oz consider the 1-4 model; if you're only going up to 2.5 oz it should work great.

8 hours ago, Thumb-Burner said:

while I agree with you 100%, and have complained about the same thing for 20 plus years, there is a bit of slack I will cut the manufacturers here. there is a gigantic difference in how hard and with what technique one caster casts versus another. I've had rods that people told me had a sweet spot of four based on their experience that for me were overloaded with two and a half. I'm sure it goes the other way around also. just go stand on the beach and watch 10 people cast and you'll see that the variations of power with which they hit the rod is endless.

if you want to really get messed up buy some rods from the UK and look at their rating. they are typically rating on a full-blown pendulum cast. I have a UK Rod rated to 5 oz that I can throw 10 with

i stated "commercial rod makers" to differentiate from the "boutique custom rod makers", who for the very most part will build rods to very exacting customer spex, and one at a time, not production line rods.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check these out. I'm in Maine and the season is drawing to a close - I'll probably wait until the spring.... Is there a 'best time' to buy rods? Like in terms of sales and stuff.