Roccus7

So anyone go out for cod yet?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Stripers have been abusing me of late so I figured I should get my butt on my close-in offshore cod humps to take advantage of our "generous" recreational 1 fish @ 21" a day that runs Sept 15 - 30.  Today was the first day that the wind, swells, tide and my schedule aligned since the 15th so I hightailed it out this AM.

Got to my spots BUT they were loaded with mackerel and couldn't get my jig past them to the bottom.  I was chased off of 4 bumps I fish by the macks.  Looked at the GPS display and saw a likely spot that I've never tried.  Got there and there were macks on it too, BUT I finally got the jig and teaser past the macks to the bottom.  I jigged once and was rocked by a big hit and brought up this lovely 26" cod with his little brother.  The codlin went home to Mommy, but big brother came home with me for dinner...

IMG_7724.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nice. Going tomorrow but offshore. We limited out on a haddock each trip there this year but also caught some cod that were pushing 36-38". One of those cod would have been more meat than a limit of haddock for sure. Swam away happy and healthy but tomorrow will be a different story. The hardest part will be deciding on what to keep with it only being one. May depend on how quick we get our limit of haddock. Last trip out, we boated 20 keeper haddock before we had a single throwback. That was inspiring. Brining my tuna gear too so hoping for a mixer type trip. 

Saturday I will be fishing solo for stripers and cod. 

Edited by NHAngler

1 hour ago, 7 Rivers said:

Nothing chasing macks?

Not a dang thing, not even a whale in sight. The even came up to the surface and played around. 

I was hoping something would show up to hassle them...

8 hours ago, 7 Rivers said:

Huh, this weekend will tell a lot I think...

I would be extremely surprised to find bass where I was fishing, 2 miles from the nearest offshore island and 7 miles from the mainland.  The water was up to 150' deep and there were gannets hanging around, not prime "striper" real estate. 

I did bring the tuna trolling rod up on deck from the cabin just in case "Charlie" made an appearance...

Was back in the saddle again this AM.  Left the dock at 06:30, stopped by a striper ledge for 10 fruitless casts, and went to Cod Land.  Got out there, dropped my jig to the bottom, jigged twice and nailed this 10 lb fish.  Was back home before 07:30...

IMG_7729.jpg

5 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Was back in the saddle again this AM.  Left the dock at 06:30, stopped by a striper ledge for 10 fruitless casts, and went to Cod Land.  Got out there, dropped my jig to the bottom, jigged twice and nailed this 10 lb fish.  Was back home before 07:30...

IMG_7729.jpg

Very nice fish. Color seems to be a bit darker since last time I saw one. 

9 mins ago, foxfai said:

Very nice fish. Color seems to be a bit darker since last time I saw one. 

Color ranges in cod.  Fish that spend a lot of time over red seaweed covered ledges will actually come up red.  Fish from sandy bottoms will be tan and then there are olive colored ones.  This is the typical color of the fish I catch in this area, a bunch of rock humps that come up to 70' from 120'.

3 hours ago, Scott Charlton said:

While jigging up cod, any pollock?  19” or greater or just harbor pollock or any at all?  I’m playing hockey on Monday going to try for some.

Was disappointed, since both trips were devoid of "Sangweech Size" pollock.  I had one "maybe", but Thursday there wasn't a single pollock over 6 inches, which is unusual since this area in the fall is usually pretty good at supplying a couple of lunches worth of pollock a trip.

Other than the plague of mackerel of all sizes, there wasn't much else: a few small cunners, 1 small redfish, and 1 tiny sculpin over the two trips.  Two bad I'm not a bait drowner.  If I had my Sabiki rod with me I could have a years worth of bait in minutes...

Edited by Roccus7

Did very well yesterday offshore. Pollock, haddock, cod, hake, cusk, and reds. Biggest cod was 23 pounds and big pollock was 18 pounds. Some of the haddock were near 25”.

Very few shorts so the effort went to reeling up quality fish. That was great because we were fishing in 220-240 fow.

Edited by NHAngler

I remember someone told me that Halloween is the prime time for pollock (don't remember the reason).

My once in a life time was a massive school of pollack was found while steaming out to the spot. Captain did a sudden stop then U-turn to the massive mountain of school of something. Then we proceed to pull up 10-15lb pollock for 3 hours. The party boat literally littered with fish everywhere. Jig didn't even get down 50 ft and we had double headers on. That's also the day the fish broke my GTI320.