Maine Guide

Martha’s Vineyard 9/27 - 9/29

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

So, after all these years, I will finally get to fish the island during the big tournament. 

Anyone been out there?  How’s the fishing been. 

Is  it worth buying a beach pass?

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you mean a vehicle beach pass, I believe those are $100-500 depending on which beach you choose. Seems like a lot for a two-day trip.

I haven’t been out there this year, but there are an awful lot of places you can access by foot, if you don’t mind a bit of a walk. 

Edited by fishinbill

2 hours ago, fishinbill said:

If you mean a vehicle beach pass, I believe those are $100-500 depending on which beach you choose. Seems like a lot for a two-day trip.

I haven’t been out there this year, but there are an awful lot of places you can access by foot, if you don’t mind a bit of a walk. 

Does not seem worth it for a couple days. 

If it’s 2 full days of fishing, I’d pull the trigger on a $100 pass so you can drive East Beach.    It’s only $50 a day and if you’ve never driven on the sand like that, then it’s a no brainer to me.  Pack a cooler and spend the day out there.

i do a trip to Nantucket every year, and can’t imagine not getting a Great Point pass.  

Its $100 for the Norton Point pass and $200 for the Chappaquiddick pass so that decision is up to you if its worth it or not. It has been slow overall in recent days but things could pick up anytime.  

At least its going to be good weather this weekend! Have fun!

22 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

So, after all these years, I will finally get to fish the island during the big tournament. 

$200 for East beach Cape Pogue to Wasque. If you are not staying on Chappy, you cannot get the ferry until 6:45 AM so you won't be on the beach until 7:15 or later depending on how many vehicles are in front of you. The ferry can take 3 vehicles at a time unless there is a large commercial vehicle, then 2 vehicles. If the Albies are around, the action is from 6 AM to around 7:30 or 8 on a typical morning before things slow down or shut down.

22 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

Where are you staying?

10 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

Edgartown. 

You can fish the harbor on either side, the lighthouse beach or state beach quite easily. The lighthouse would be my preference, however the limited parking could be an issue in the access area. State beach has parking along the road. The harbor is best accessed from the Chappy side where there is a parking lot.

I forgot to mention the parking lot at east beach. For $5 (I believe) you can walk to east beach and fish right out front of the entrance. The 6AM to 8AM bite is good if there are albies around. They usually run the beach at dawn.

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged

21 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

Edgartown. 

Access to East beach requires you to cross the Ted Kennedy memorial bridge (****** bridge) where he took a wrong turn so you will probably want to check that out being the big fan that you are. The good news is that the new bridge has a safety railing.

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged

23 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

Hurricane Teddy roughed up outer Chappy & Wasque. Keep an eye on The Trustees on Facebook.

chappy.png.4cde17fa8c3e0fe1d933fe470097bc88.png

39 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

You can fish the harbor on either side, the lighthouse beach or state beach quite easily. The lighthouse would be my preference, however the limited parking could be an issue in the access area. State beach has parking along the road. The harbor is best accessed from the Chappy side where there is a parking lot.

I forgot to mention the parking lot at east beach. For $5 (I believe) you can walk to east beach and fish right out front of the entrance. The 6AM to 8AM bite is good if there are albies around. They usually run the beach at dawn.

This is what I would do if staying in Edgartown for two days. Also take a ride over to the other side of the island to see what Menemsha is all about. 

35 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

Access to East beach requires you to cross the Ted Kennedy memorial bridge (****** bridge) where he took a wrong turn so you will probably want to check that out being the big fan that you are. The good news is that the new bridge has a safety railing.

Lol. My first trip there years ago I checked that bridge out. I would not want to be driving out there, drunk, in the dark with a hot blonde. 

That safety railing  gives me comfort. 

Check the tides for Edgartown harbor and Menemsha whichever one has early morning highs go there. The afternoon tides can have fish too. Drive state road if you see boats and people on the beaches or rocks there's fish there.