Mikey149

Shimano Ci4 Reels...never again,.

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

At the recommendation of a few buddies I went ahead and bought two Shimano surf reels with high expectations, but within a year and a half both of them developed issues. After the first season of using the Ultegra 5500, the bearings went. I went to the Shimano website that sells parts and replaced them. The second season the same thing. The bigger, heavier Ultegra 14000 XTB is beginning to get a bit grindy, too, but recently the drag knob button froze up, completing eliminating the baitrunner feature. I went to the website to try to get a replacement and parts for the damn reel are no longer available. I think Shimano should stick with building and selling bicycles and leave reel making to Penn. I've had a Penn Torque 5 for over four years and it still is as smooth as silk. Buy American guys. I'm just sayin'.

Sure, compare a reel that's not design to get soaked in saltwater to a fully sealed reel that's 3x the price.  Not to mentioned dem **** used cheap plastic gears. 

A fair comparison would be to a penn ssvi long cast. Jury is still out, but I am not hearing favorable reviews. 

Not sure that shimano ultegra vs penn torque is an apples to apples comparison.  I've had a spheros for a decade and a 'gosa for 5 years both of which are still going strong...

8 mins ago, hobobob said:

Sure, compare a reel that's not design to get soaked in saltwater to a fully sealed reel that's 3x the price. 

My 5500 XSA and 14000XSC keep going, (8 years old) 'cause I don't drive them under water

1 min ago, ZAFisher said:

My 5500 XSA and 14000XSC keep going, (8 years old) 'cause I don't drive them under water

I need to gather enough courage to buy a Ultegra xtc 5500.  I still don't understand what make it better than the regular ultegra at half the price.

8 hours ago, hobobob said:

I need to gather enough courage to buy a Ultegra xtc 5500.  I still don't understand what make it better than the regular ultegra at half the price.

XTC vs cheaper XTD in a nutshell:

1. Ci4 construction (lighter)

2. Forged main gear with appropriate pinion gear

3. A-RB bearings (Shimano's verision of anti-corrosion treatment)

4. Sealed drag (well it has an o-ring seal)

5. Spare spool. I am not 100% sure about this for you in the USA, as different markets get different options. Reducers are also included, basically clip on plastic parts that reduce spool capacity for when you want to use thinner line and dont want to fill up with 700m...

6. Screw in handle vs push through hexagonal shaft

7. Handle knob also has bearings (more precise feel but more prone to corrosion)

Im going to tear my 5500 c4 down. Grinding .  Going to mic bearings and replace them.  Not from shimano. Il get my bearings online or go to bearing shop. In Plymouth. 

Think there is a bushing on the end of the reel on one of the shafts ill see bout bearing for that 

Had this real apart,  almost a year out of it lol

Have 1 5500 and a 14000 to blow up aftet i kill this reel.

I actually like it for a cheap reel. 

Not sure what grease to use and how much. But i gummed it up with lubriplate on the anti reverse and had oil coming out parts if the body. Like it mates perfectly rofl.

Think next tear down my put superlube on just the gears with a dab of  oil in the body.

Drag i had apart,  need to ho through my junkbox and replace thay jerky plastic crap they use