Jon I

Leaning fence

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I got a wood fence that leaning a bit. 6 or 7 posts need to be leveled. They're directly in the dirt... no concrete or anything. From what I read I just need to level the posts, then pack it with dirt or stone. But I got some of this "Sika Pro select" foaming stuff laying around and was thinking it might work better than packing dirt. Any fence pros around that have thoughts on this? 

Why not dig space around the posts, level, and pour concrete around them? Should avoid any future problems. If there's no concrete now and they moved once chances are they'll move again

The fence was installed a few years ago and the company that did it says sometimes the dirt they pack settles and needs to be repacked. Only one portion of the fence is leaning so I'd assume if that part is packed as good as other posts that aren't leaning then I should be good, but only time will tell. 

The posts are inches from neighbors driveway so I could only dig a few sides... but I got enough things needing my time, if the fix is that involved I'll be looking to pay someone to do it. 

Throw a dry bag and a half of 80lb quick crete in and soak it with the hose. Done. I do this with vinyl and steel posts all the time for my summer job. 

Just push 'em back plumb and pack the shite out of to other side. Tamp. If it happens again, then yer gonna hafta dig.  I would just push and tamp first. 

Helps to have an actual tamper. Else a 2 x 2 about 4' long and a small sledge hammer will do. 

If ya end up with a void where ya tamped, then stone/dirt it and tamp, repeat process.

6 hours ago, shortys7777 said:

Throw a dry bag and a half of 80lb quick crete in and soak it with the hose. Done. I do this with vinyl and steel posts all the time for my summer job. 

Like this ^^^

8 hours ago, Jon I said:

The fence was installed a few years ago and the company that did it says sometimes the dirt they pack settles and needs to be repacked.

Sounds like a chitty, fly by night contractor to me. Done correctly the dirt should not settle. I dig holes for a living, so I should know.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions ...will be staying away from the Sika. 

12 hours ago, shortys7777 said:

Do you dig a hole around the post first, or just level the post and fill in the gap? A couple of my posts will have a 2ish inch gap once I bring it level. Hoping I can get away with just filling in gap since my neighbor's new driveway is a couple inches from my post. Digging on that side really isn't an option. And that's the side with the gap... my tamper is too big for the space too.  

And I noticed yesterday bringing those two post level nearly fixes the rest of the fence. Thinking I'll try filling the gap with quickcrete on the two worst ones, then go with ben's  2 x 2 suggestion on the rest that aren't as bad.

The "POSTUP Fence Post Repair Kit" looks interesting too. Might add those as well to the two worst posts for good measure. 

I would not quikcrete a wood fence, it will hold water and the posts will rot...  As others have said dig around the post to plumb them, then add material a few inches at a time and tamp with the back side of a shovel, a bar  or something.  Most people just back fill the whole thing and tamp on top, you need to tamp on the way up....

If you are not comfortable with quickcrete I would use some type of gravel. Wet every 6 inches and tamp it as you go up or use a 2x4 like mentioned to fill any gaps. I have repaired some wood fences that had rocks and what not with regular dirt. Works well too. Soak it when done. It might settle over 24-48 hours. Pack again and soak