switchrodeo7

Saltwater Reel for 7-8wt

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

You will gets lots of opinions and all will be good.  So, I'll start with mine.  Not knowing budget, Lamson Litespeed a a solid, dependable reel.  I'd get a size 3. Galvan Torque is excellent too.  If you want a higher end like Nautilus, Hatch, Tibor, etc then pick the one you think looks nice because all of these are excellent.  Orivs Hydros is also a great choice and is the lowest cost of the bunch.  So many great choices.  It's hard to make a bad one.

1 hour ago, switchrodeo7 said:

Looking for recommendations for Reel and Line for summer/fall saltwater fishing with 7 or 8 wt rod.....

What is your budget?  Where are you fishing?  In my opinion, you can not go wrong with the Orvis Hydros IV - I have several of the older version (the Hydros SL) and never had an issue.  The new ones have a different drag knob which I like better and for $259 I don't think you can beat the value and durability -  https://www.orvis.com/p/orvis-hydros-reels/2zas?adv=584372&cm_mmc=Orvisbrand-_-Tm-x-fishing-us-exact-_-Tm-x-reels-hydros-x-x-x-_-orvis hydros reel&gclid=CjwKCAjwh7H7BRBBEiwAPXjadpbkxPiHxammWqwtfDQiNJnoWr98yAoiMgV2dm9GtMkYf_-5_QKoihoC_9YQAvD_BwE  I have landed Stripers up to 30" on it with no problem.  If you want to spend less than that check out the Sage 2280 at Bears Den Fly shop - on sale for around $115 - https://www.dendiscounts.com/product1137.html  my friend picked one up and has no problems with it.  You can pick up two of these and put sinking line on the second reel 

Of course if you have a larger budget look at an Abel or Nautilus.  If you are fishing the north east/cape area I would recommend a cold water intermediate line like the Scientific Angler, Orvis or Rio cold water striper line - the rio seems to do better on a stiffer rod but can't go wrong with any of them

Posted (edited) · Report post

Galvan Rush light will probably be my next 8wt reel.  Pretty sure the drag is identical to the Torque and it's only about 1/2 oz heavier. Also about $150.00 less...

Edited by oax

Any Lamson over $200 MSRP.

Sealed drag, American made, Never had a problem.

Find them on sale new fairly frequently, seldom used unless they’re an early Gen. That tells me something.

great stuff.....I figure it is like anything else, everyone has their own experience and opinion, but looks like some good recommendations in here.

I hadnt really considered Orvis and they dont seem all that expensive either....I suppose there is a lot of competition out there.

I have historically been a Ross man but it has been years since I have looked around. 

thanks everyone!!

The (made in Sweden) Daniellson may be the best bargain out there.  These are basically purchased from the factory. If your budget is plus or minus $200 then you should give them a look.  Just saying.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Colton's are very nice -- CRGII's cheaper & not sealed or Terrapins which are sealed.

Great customer service... just call foulhook (SOL member) he's the owner.

Ross used to be nice & affordable - they have been bought by the group that bought Abel. Discontinued mid priced models (Cimarron II).

Edited by gman1253

Lamson makes good, affordable reels.  Many can be easily reversed for southpaws.  Good service dept. too.  If you want to get a better reel in their lineup, they have a buy-back program.  It's always a good feeling to buy a quality product made in the U.S.A. 

the Ross Evo R Salt 7-8 is perfect if your a ross guy but at 600 bucks can be steep....I like Colton Terrapin 789 for the sub 300 price as others mentioned....Best Value IMO

As said above, Daniellson makes incredible reels at a very affordable price.  I have 5 in various sizes.  I also apparently have a gear addiction ....

I picked up the budget Colton and a Danielsson this year. Both are very nice smooth reels.  The colton does have a smaller diameter spool, if it matters to you. I use them for flood tide redfish.