jrk

3000 or 4000 size spinning reel

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I have mainly used low profile and other forms of casting reels for both my salt and fresh, but have started utilizing smaller spinners a little  more often as of late. 
I shouldn’t, but probably going to pick up a Stella FJ for my inshore fishing. This will be mounted on a new NRX Inshore 7’7” MH...when they become available...and occasionally a 9’6” Century Weapon. I currently use a 3k Stradic and a new Daiwa Certate LT 4K for this duty, and they’ve worked out fine.  The latter seems to wind a little heavier under load, but it’s an incredible reel for sure.
Besides the obvious of more line cap and a little more drag, would the 4 offer a better cast or line management than the 3?  The 4 would probably be overkill for my occasional fresh use, but if it offers better line management and casting distance, I’d be happier. 
Line will be 10# Ultra 8 Crystal and mostly will be throwing ~1/2 and slightly heavier artificial. 

I would recommend getting the 4000. The 4000 stella is a lot smaller than the 4000 daiwa. Probably closer to a 3000. Both are light reels and yes, you will cast farther all things being equal with the 4000 because you will have less spool depletion during the cast. And if you happen to hook something really big, you’ll be happy for the extra capacity. On a 7’7” rod a 4000 will balance perfectly.

I agree. I'd go with the 4000 given your circumstances.

I will add though that the newer "LT" Daiwa reels like the Certate LT are comparably sized to the Shimano reels. Then of course you have those denoted "C" standing for compact and those models have a smaller body. For example, the Certate 4000C has the same body as the 3000 and just a larger spool.

I would also vote for the 4000 size, I Use the 4000 stella and sustain for Snook fishing in FL   Over all I would go with the 4000 size , something smaller would be an issue with larger fish as far as my experience has been. I have also been out gunned a few times and lost fish to heavy cover or barnacle covered  pilings because I couldn't stop the run with the 4000.  It just happens sometimes. 

I think it depends on whether the 7'7'' or 9'6'' will be the primary. If the 7'7'' will be the primary, I'm inclined to say the 3000. I have the Shimano Exsence Ci4+ 3000 (equivalent to a 2000-2500 daiwa) with a 7' rod and the balance is perfect.

I pair a 3000 size with my 9ft suzuki rod occasionally if I want to run 10lb braid. A 4000 size shimano would be the sweet spot for balance with the 9ft.