Pat_RI

Shimano Conquest 401

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I have an older Conquest 401 that I use for freshwater swim baiting can I use it in saltwater or will it get destroyed. Looking to use a baitcaster from shore throwing plugs and tins. I’m open to alternatives to buy but since I have it figured I’d ask. I have it paired with an 8ft heavy rainshadow rod. Im so used to baitcasters in fresh that I want to continue in salt. If possible. 

I use all my combos in saltwater. Just rinse w easy shower after. I think only Magnesium reels have issues w saltwater but I could be wrong. 

23 hours ago, Pat_RI said:

I have an older Conquest 401 that I use for freshwater swim baiting can I use it in saltwater or will it get destroyed. Looking to use a baitcaster from shore throwing plugs and tins. I’m open to alternatives to buy but since I have it figured I’d ask. I have it paired with an 8ft heavy rainshadow rod. Im so used to baitcasters in fresh that I want to continue in salt. If possible. 

if it is built like a Calcutta TE then you will be fine,just give it was good rinse in freshwater after.

HH

I would keep it nice for the sweet water.  I have one too.  You don’t want that thing all jammed up with salt while trying to creep a hudd on the bottom.  I would buy a cheep one for salt.  I’ve used Diawa lexa in the surf with 8 foot rod.  Loved it but those baitcasters don’t last long in the surf. 

41 mins ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

I would buy a cheep one for salt.  I’ve used Diawa lexa in the surf with 8 foot rod.  Loved it but those baitcasters don’t last long in the surf. 

I think I am going to go that route but want a round reel and not low profile I think. 

3 hours ago, Pat_RI said:

I think I am going to go that route but want a round reel and not low profile I think. 

eBay or flea market and get yourself an Ambassaduer 6500. Perfect cheap round reel.