rwilhelm

Penn SSVI 5500 Long Cast

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Anyone using this reel?  Have a 3500 for my 8 footer.  Thinking about this one for my surf rod.  

Wondering if you notice a difference in casting distance with the long cast version.

I returned mine.  I was expecting really long casts but it was no different than any non long cast reel.  I was very disappointed as I Really wanted to like this reel

I bought and returned two of them. Got the first one and it was super noisy out of the box. Not sure where it came from but it sounded like an older reels anti reverse pawl (old penn z) but not as loud. Figured I got a dud so I exchanged it for another. That one came and it was just as noisy out of the box so I sent it back. Part of me wanted to fish it to see if the noise went away thinking it needed to be broken in or something, but I really didn’t need the reel so I sent it back.  I was a little disappointed since I paid about $170 on Amazon at the time. 

Great reels for surf distance......put some 20lb braid on it and you will see a measurable increase in yardage.

quiet,smooth and dependable....they are a little heavy though.

had three and only got rid of them for conflict lc for lighter weight

I have one. Nothing but great things to say about it. Excellent in the salt. Super robust and sealed. Casts the extra distance, and handles big fish. 
Best thing I ever did was sell my plasticky Ultegras. 

Also, if you can’t get good distance with the Penn Longcast, you will do no better with the Ultegra. 

7 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

...they are a little heavy though.

had three and only got rid of them for conflict lc for lighter weight

True. They are a little heavier. I have a 7500LC and it’s a beast. I have to try a Conflict LC and see how they hold up. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I should have mentioned that mine also came defective.  It was missing the line holder button.  After tons of emails to the dealer I finally was able to return it.  That was a major hassle.  I did use is a couple of times before I noticed the missing line holder and for me the casting performance was unremarkable.  My Tsunami saltx blew it away in casting distance and my Shimano Ultegra CI4 XTB ate it for breakfast.  I got just as much distance with my $40 710z, although I did not have much line left after the cast lol.  The long cast did hold more line.  

Not a fan...

Edited by Birdsnester

8 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

I am amazed that you state the 5500lc did not cast further then a salt-x or a 710!!

something is wrong with that picture........

I used the same rod, same braid and weight.  It was not even close.  The 710 may have been a stretch lol

I have the 5500 conflict long cast, I love it, it’s light and with 30# braid I would honestly say I get 20-25 yds further than my battles and slammer 3 can throw, I was looking at the ssvi when I bought my slammer.