Onboard Pressure Washers

Rate this topic

NewWaveDave

Hi Folks!

I am an oyster farmer and I am needing a pressure washer for my boat. I use the pressure washer to keep my floating oyster cages clean and to clean the bags. I have already figured out I need a commercial pressure washer due to how heavily I use the thing: many hours a day, many days per week. I am currently using a sump pump over the side of the boat to provide water for the pressure washer. I am wondering if any of you brilliant and helpful denizens of SOL have any experience with this sort of this sort of thing. I am looking at marine boat wash down kits as perhaps a better way of supplying water to my pressure washer. Any comments, ideas?

Thanks!

David

I know it is fairly simple to mount a clutch and pump to an inboard, gas or diesel.

I have heard that some outboards have the ability to mount an auxiliary accessory

drive, and have seen them in the past, but i dont know anything about them, sorry.

mounting a gas driven pressure washer onboard somewhere isnt an option I take it ? 

Honestly, I don't know. When you say gas driven, I assume you mean the motor? I have been looking at gas pressure washers on wheels. I suppose I could mount one to the railing, but if it is on the floor I need it to be mobile for cleaning purposes. I don't know what a clutch and pump is. Could you tell me about this?

they probably run a crash pump of the main inboard.  Those things can move a lot of water, put it through a nozzle and voila

I was thinking maybe an electric pressure washer, one of those $100 units from homies.    You could probably take it apart and custom mount it as you see fit wherever, they are very small.  Run it off an inverter, or a genny if you have one onboard.  They have plenty of pressure for what you want to do, but a lot less than gas powered washer, so its not overkill

Something like this:

ERKA1.601-756.0-99-2T.jpg?v-cache=159766

right now I run a 2800 PSI gas power washer. It works well enough for a while, but gets tired after a couple hours. I get some red macro algae, squirts, and barnacles I need to blast off the gear. The 2800 PSI doesn't quite do the job unless you hold it real close, and then it only gets hard stuff for the first hour. I have come to the conclusion, in order to clean the cages quickly and effectively, I need something more powerful, something which is meant to run continuously. I have seen an electric power washer that is 4000 psi, and because I have a 6500 watt generator in the boat, I am considering that option. I am thinking about getting a non-mobile generator (15kw or so) and using that to power the pressure washer(s), water pumps, and refrigeration. I am thinking a trash pump would be a good idea for longevity and volume. This is going to be a project and I appreciate everyones input. Ya'll are the best!

I started with a scrub brush. After one cage I said to myself, "hell, no!" The little pressure washer was a dream come true compared to hand scrubbing. However, I am going to be hiring people and need to make this process as quick and easy as possible...and I do need for the cages to be clean. Ugh...