BrianBM

Cheating in a black bass tournament

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

This is one of those shake-your-head, why-do-people-do-this stories.

Today's NYT has a story about cheating - and the considerable scientific work needed to show it - in a tournament on Lake Powell.  You should be able to find it with a Google/DDG search.  DDG doesn't have Google's facility for locating the source of a block of text.  Here's an excerpt;

"

Every year, the calm waters of Lake Powell, teeming with bass, catfish and walleye in Southern Utah, draw dozens of anglers who try their hand at fishing contests awarding thousands of dollars.

But for almost two years, scandal disturbed the peace. In October 2018, at least two suspicious fish caught the attention of the state, leading to a lengthy investigation, analysis by a university lab and, finally, felony charges against two fishermen accused of trying to cheat their way to first place.

The case, which ended last month with guilty pleas, was the first time in Utah’s history that someone had been prosecuted for cheating in a fishing tournament, a spokeswoman for the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources said.

“When something like this happens, it angers a lot of people,” said Ron Colby, a professional fisherman who has made more than $100,000 over 20 years of tournaments. Bad behavior can affect the sport, he said, adding that fishing tournaments tend to be tightknit, competitive and more about bragging rights than money prizes.

"That’s what’s so crazy about somebody cheating in these events like this, because there is not a lot money involved,” he said. “For them to cheat and do what they did, the risk they took, for the recognition and a piece of wood, a trophy or plaque on the wall, is pretty ridiculous.”

The fishermen, Robert Dennett and Kamron Wootton, were among the anglers competing in a two-day largemouth bass fishing tournament on Lake Powell in October 2018, according to the Utah wildlife division. A $2,500 prize would be awarded to the team that turned in the five fish with the highest total weight.

The event had about 25 teams and takes place several times a year.

The bass the men had turned in put them in second place after the first day of the tournament, and gave them the prize of the overall biggest fish.

But the bass that Mr. Dennett and Mr. Wootton presented didn’t look like the others, Lt. Paul Washburn, a spokesman for the Utah Division of Wildlife, said on Tuesday."

Posted (edited) · Report post

What did they do? Cage up fat bass in certain spots to catch later or pump the fish up for more weight?

** I found it, they took much larger bass from a different lake and submitted it into the comp and also bribed a few people. 

"Charging documents said Dennett and Wootton took several bass from the Quail Lake Reservoir in southwest Utah without authorization or permits and transported the fish about 180 miles east to Lake Powell."

Edited by VitaminDee

Who was that guy in California that was breaking lake records that got caught? Talking like 15-20lb LMB, using a bunker snag on bedding fish from one lake, then transporting them to another lake or something like that.

2 mins ago, hobobob said:

Cheating when big money is involved. Shocking. 

$2500 isn’t big money. It’s a $1250 split for 2 guys. Hardly worth going to prison over, or even losing whatever rights a felony costs you in Utah even if you don’t go to jail. ;) 

I cheated at Scrabble once.......but it was to let my son's girlfriend win

6 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

$2500 isn’t big money. It’s a $1250 split for 2 guys. Hardly worth going to prison over, or even losing whatever rights a felony costs you in Utah even if you don’t go to jail. ;) 

I would think it's not the first time they had done it. Just got caught the 1st time. Winning tournaments keep their endorsement deals going. 

11289579_429637543881480_7080827590147427371_o.jpg.200dc97d2b970747229a5d5a5dadf3f4.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's the chump-change aspect that leaves me shaking my head. They put a lot of effort into this, too. 

It's been years since I was on a Montauk partyboat for cod. That said, way back when, there were persistent stories about anglers trying to cheat their way to the pool money with some sinker-stuffed fish. The outline of the sinkers would be conspicuous in the cod belly, when the fish were weighed. This would piss other anglers off no end, and there was supposedly a semistandard punishment. The cheating angler would be encouraged (vigorously encouraged,  ;)   ) to eat a pile of cod guts.

Maybe it's true, maybe not. I've been on boats where odder and grosser things happened. It's a good story, anyway. 

Edited by BrianBM

Amazing...so much stupid for a $2,500 prize :dismay: That's like folks who cheat at IGFA world records - what's the point? It's basically the honor system, an accomplishment to stoke your ego a little bit, a job well done - what good is it when you have to cheat for that kinda stuff? :squid:  

Glad they got caught, I hope they are made an example of...

I’m recalling someone getting disqualified for cheating in the Martha’s Vineyard tourney years back?

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

It's the chump-change aspect that leaves me shaking my head. They put a lot of effort into this, too. 

It's been years since I was on a Montauk partyboat for cod. That said, way back when, there were persistent stories about anglers trying to cheat their way to the pool money with some sinker-stuffed fish. The outline of the sinkers would conspicuous in the cod belly, when the fish were weighed. This would piss other anglers off no end, and there was supposedly a semistandard punishment. The cheating angler would be encouraged (vigorously encouraged,  ;)   ) to eat a pile of cod guts.

Maybe it's true, maybe not. I've been on boats where odder and grosser things happened. It's a good story, anyway. 

There are bass tournaments every weekend. If they did this a lot it would add up to decent amount of money. I’ve fished bass tournaments years ago and the people running them always checked everyone’s live wells at the start of the tournament. I wonder if these guys had the fish on a stringer hidden somewhere on the lake?