Cuttyhunker

Murat Rods??

8 posts in this topic

Earlier this season I acquired 5 Murat rods in a large lot sale, 4 casters and boat rod.  A collector in Conn. bought them all.  Here are 2 boat rods from another lot.  I contacted the same collector about these 2 and his opinion they could be Murat's.  They were custom made for Skip Warr owner of Warr's Boat Yard in Wareham Mass.  I knew Skip from Cuttyhunk as his dad Bud had a cottage on the island. If Skip is still around my guess he would be in his 90's.  I suspect these may be Murat's from the Attleboro shop after Charlie passed.  Compared to the earlier ones that I had the white rubber base is identical to the previous 5, Hi quality reel seat and guides, crossing thread-work at the handle are making me lean towards Murat.  They are identical except one is topped with an AFTCO roller, the other a carballoy top top, probably one for wire the other leadcore.  Can any of you folks shed some light on these two?  Thanks 

DSC01126.JPG

DSC01125.JPG

DSC01124.JPG

DSC01123.JPG

DSC01122.JPG

DSC01121.JPG

DSC01120.JPG

DSC01119.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

As I recall seven foot seems to be about right, I'm in Fla for the winter, the rods are in Mass. The AFTCO roller tip is a 16 on one.  They are nice lightweight boat rods, the thread work and white butt cap is similar to some Murat casting rods I bought in Woonsocket last summer.  Is there any special significance to the Lami blank?  I do have an electric lathe to re-wrap rods but am more of a vintage reel guy with limited knowledge about blanks.

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by Cuttyhunker

BT857S are heavy slow action “E” glass blanks. Not a lot of taper. Butt is .75? The heavy slow action Is perfect for wire line with zero stretch. Rod absorbs a lot of the fight. Perfect for snapping parachute jigs or umbrella rigs or tube worm. The 4 guide set up was standard 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'll check the butt dimension when I head back up in a few months, all the techniques you mentioned would have been in vogue 30 or 40 years ago when the rods were made.  They would then, as slow rods, be desirable for trolling the super braids.  I'm considering rigging up a pair to try next season. I expect with the small diameter they should go down like the wire, if not maybe a trolling lead between the leader and braid.  One of my regular fishing buddies is on heavy blood thinners so I moved away from wire to leadline last season.  I'm looking at hot rodding a couple of 309 Penns to at least new carbontex drags or maybe a 5 stack system.  The level winders would lessen the chance of his getting cut up on the braid.  The photo is on the Sow and Pigs last season, the striper was just sub legal.  The rod came down from dad's charter biz from the 60's to the 80's.  The rod is slow as you can see, and may be a Harnell as it does have a Varmac seat.  However Harrington did sell more blanks than rods. Any markings are long gone. Have a few, they're keepers for me.

20200725_150100.jpg

Edited by Cuttyhunker