osprey47

alumilite epoxy application

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

What methods do you use to apply your two piece epoxy? My first run saw lots of running and drip spots, so I wisened up and hit it with a heat gun and kept touching up the drips, but what have you all found is the best way to apply and keep it as a nice clean look?

Posted (edited) · Report post

This topic comes up frequently, and my advice is to (when you find what works for you) write down your method. Keep track. If (after you have your method) you top coat a batch that fish-eyes or has holidays/voids, isolate what you did different that batch.

Are you pouring your mixed epoxy out onto a tinfoil tray? That will extend pot life and let bubbles settle out some. If I was coating one plug, I'd just dip my brush in the mix cup. When I'm trying to get 10 done I use the tray.

I brush on my 2 part epoxy topcoat, and now that I have 'my method' I get maybe 1 tiny void per 10 plugs. The 2nd top coat seems to always cover that void. There were many factors that improved my top coat lay-down and adhesion. After I brush on the epoxy, I hold the plug up to a hot lamp bulb and check for missed spots. The heat lets the epoxy flow and pops bubbles. If a bubble doesn't pop, I use a hairdryer for a few seconds. (I know a bulb in a spinner box would do this, too, but I use the flip method)

I use spray cans for my paint. A few years ago, Rollincoal gave me a tip that helped me a great deal. He suggested washing the plugs with dish soap. I now wash my plugs with a soapy paper towel, rinse thoroughly, and hang to dry. I epoxy the next night. This works for me because I write on my lures with a Sharpie, and handle them to press in the eyes. The paper towel scrub breaks the paint's surface tension and removes any grease. Others have said this method is crazy, time consuming, and unnecessary. But it was a game changer for me. 

I'm convinced that if your 1st layer of top coat doesn't lay down perfect, another layer that looks like it fixed the problem is just gonna flake off and/or hook rash quickly when you start fishing the lure

Edited by Livefreeordie
I'm learning to spell

2 methods:

1 The Hang method, a lot of new guys use this method because nothing is needed other than some of your time. Apply your epoxy...thin coat....and hang it somehwere. Half hour later, check it, deal with any drips, and flip it over. Rinse and repeat for 1-2 hours till the epoxy is tacky enough to stay put.

2 The Spin method

Spinner.JPG.13003f9dadcd874b7f472a514e04eaa9.JPG

Made this with a rotisserie motor kit from Homies. Apply epoxy (I use a fly tying vise), then use pieces of coat hangar and springs to hold plugs onto the spinner. Turn spinner on.  Keep adding plugs till it's full, and let it go. In the morning, admire the beautiful plugs. Most of the time.  :banghd:

3 hours ago, Livefreeordie said:

This topic comes up frequently, and my advice is to (when you find what works for you) write down your method. Keep track. If (after you have your method) you top coat a batch that fish-eyes or has holidays/voids, isolate what you did different that batch.

Are you pouring your mixed epoxy out onto a tinfoil tray? That will extend pot life and let bubbles settle out some. If I was coating one plug, I'd just dip my brush in the mix cup. When I'm trying to get 10 done I use the tray.

I brush on my 2 part epoxy topcoat, and now that I have 'my method' I get maybe 1 tiny void per 10 plugs. The 2nd top coat seems to always cover that void. There were many factors that improved my top coat lay-down and adhesion. After I brush on the epoxy, I hold the plug up to a hot lamp bulb and check for missed spots. The heat lets the epoxy flow and pops bubbles. If a bubble doesn't pop, I use a hairdryer for a few seconds. (I know a bulb in a spinner box would do this, too, but I use the flip method)

I use spray cans for my paint. A few years ago, Rollincoal gave me a tip that helped me a great deal. He suggested washing the plugs with dish soap. I now wash my plugs with a soapy paper towel, rinse thoroughly, and hang to dry. I epoxy the next night. This works for me because I write on my lures with a Sharpie, and handle them to press in the eyes. The paper towel scrub breaks the paint's surface tension and removes any grease. Others have said this method is crazy, time consuming, and unnecessary. But it was a game changer for me. 

I'm convinced that if your 1st layer of top coat doesn't lay down perfect, another layer that looks like it

23 mins ago, Ed White said:

2 methods:

1 The Hang method, a lot of new guys use this method because nothing is needed other than some of your time. Apply your epoxy...thin coat....and hang it somehwere. Half hour later, check it, deal with any drips, and flip it over. Rinse and repeat for 1-2 hours till the epoxy is tacky enough to stay put.

2 The Spin method

Spinner.JPG.13003f9dadcd874b7f472a514e04eaa9.JPG

Made this with a rotisserie motor kit from Homies. Apply epoxy (I use a fly tying vise), then use pieces of coat hangar and springs to hold plugs onto the spinner. Turn spinner on.  Keep adding plugs till it's full, and let it go. In the morning, admire the beautiful plugs. Most of the time.  :banghd:

fixed the problem is just gonna flake off and/or hook rash quickly when you start fishing the lure

I use old fishing hooks to hang mine right now  and it drips just it drips into the eyes or in a gob that looks ugly, plus leaves runs , I assume maybe I am using too much epoxy on it. I apply it with a brush as well 

Ed  I LOVE that creation, great idea!!! 

Which Alumilite are you using? Clear cast, clear, clear slow, water clear, etc. each resin has its own cure time based on a mass. When costing lures your putting a thin coat or heavy which will take much longer to cure as there’s no mass to build up heat. What I’ve done is make a rotisserie spinner like Ed but enclosed with 3 halogen puck lights on a dimmer. This was dual purpose. Gave me light as well as it heated up my box between 90-100 degrees on Max.  This helped my cure time in many resin projects and lures I’ve made in the past. 

On 9/23/2020 at 8:50 PM, LI Gaucho said:

Which Alumilite are you using? Clear cast, clear, clear slow, water clear, etc. each resin has its own cure time based on a mass. When costing lures your putting a thin coat or heavy which will take much longer to cure as there’s no mass to build up heat. What I’ve done is make a rotisserie spinner like Ed but enclosed with 3 halogen puck lights on a dimmer. This was dual purpose. Gave me light as well as it heated up my box between 90-100 degrees on Max.  This helped my cure time in many resin projects and lures I’ve made in the past. 

I have the clear cast

2 hours ago, osprey47 said:

I have the clear cast

That’s 24-48 hour cure time. Using a heated box to cure should help. Also use multiple light coats. You can always try one of the other like clear slow or water water clear. These two have a cure time of 2-4 hours. They just came out with A++ which doesn’t yellow as fast as any other resin on the market. But it’s also 24-48 he cure time. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Iv cut rubbing alcohol with water and used soft tissue paper to clean the surface with good results.  To appIy I use rubber gloves, lather up with epoxy and massage the epoxy over the surface in a thick lay up.  As its turning I run my fingers down the plug in one straight direction to level out and eliminate any eventual dry spots. Depending on the epoxy used it may take longer to achieve desired leveling.  Alot of guys prefer a brush, I feel I have better control using a gloved hand, make the gloves are dustless and clean.

Edited by DeepBlue85