chitala383

Zucchini pickles

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I was in the mood to make pickles again. The other day I was watching Diners Drive Ins and Dives and the one place had zucchini pickles. I said chit, why not? So tonight I got some jarred up. I kept it simple: garlic, peppercorns, mustard seed, dill for seasoning. The brine is white vinegar, water, sugar, salt. I used small zucchini. Roughly 6" long. Sliced the zukes on the mandolin, packed them and seasonings into the jar, poured boiling brine over them. Anyone else make zucchini pickles? I'll report my findings this weekend.

i made them last year, essentially the same recipe as you.IMO they were very good.

They did get soft and mushy sooner that cucumber pickles . (4-6 weeks in the frig)

I sanitize the jars and chill the pickling solution before adding it to the jars, so it won't partially cook and make things soft and mushy.

4 hours ago, FizzyFish said:

chill the pickling solution before adding it to the jars, so it won't partially cook and make things soft and mushy.

Was going to be my comment. Am not sure even bringing it to a boil is necessary.

And, it is just me, but lose the sugar, it is not needed.

Good info guys, thanks. I guess I'll see how these turn out and adjust for the future. I always add boiling brine to my regular pickles and the cukes really don't soften much at all. Hopefully these don't turn out like mush.

Fizzy and SIM in agreement on something......that's just really, really .......weird.  :huh::laugh:

I wish this thread hit my radar a few days ago.

Oh well there's always the market for more.

I'm gonna try the recipe with the chilled out brine and sanitized jar.

Good stuff.  Thanks.

I tried the pickles today. They came out good. Not mushy or soggy at all, but it's only been a few days. We'll see how they are in a couple weeks. Definitely a more tender texture compared to using cucumbers. But I think you're right SIM, the sugar was not necessary.