Joeuns

S.I. NY new fisherman. What kind of gear?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Just trying to get into a new hobby. I'm wondering what kind of gear you guys recommend for fishing off the beach. I'd like to stay below $500 all in.  Thank you for all the help.

Check out the newbie sticky on the top.  Tons of good info in that.  

Have you fished before? Knot tying?

Buy the best reel you can afford.   I'd rather have a decent reel matched with a crappy rod than the other way around. 

Don't be a slob.  Pick up after yourself and sadly others. 

Respect the ocean. It will kill u. Also respect it's inhabitants. 

Thank you for the information.  I've been watching YouTube and practicing some knots at home.  Respecting nature and enjoying what it offers.

I'm the other way around . . . invest in a quality rod . . . it's your tool (weapon) to get your lure / bait out there and to control / put pressure on your catch . . . the decent reel for me is to "reel it in" . . . :bigeyes:

44 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Check out the newbie sticky on the top.  Tons of good info in that.  

Have you fished before? Knot tying?

Buy the best reel you can afford.   I'd rather have a decent reel matched with a crappy rod than the other way around. 

Don't be a slob.  Pick up after yourself and sadly others. 

Respect the ocean. It will kill u. Also respect it's inhabitants. 

Great advice bud!!!

33 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I don't think this is great advice at all  Your rod is the instrument that will allow you to present your lure or bait.  If you buy a "crappy rod"  that's over or under matched for your style of fishing then that fancy reel you bought to look cool is going to do absolutely nothing for you... not a thing.  

I would counter this and say buy a great rod, a rod that will allow you to cast the things you are going fish.  If you're are for instance going to plug or bucktail then a nice 9' rod like a ODM DNA would be an awesome way to go.  If you want to sling bait then you'll get something to handle the heavier weight of bait and sinkers.  

What I would not do is buy a cheap/crappy rod that won't load on a cast, or casts like a baseball bat.  It will frustrate you and likely fatigue you in no time. I'd suggest alternatively a 9' medium action rod that will catch ANY of the fish in our waters.  You don't need a shinny expensive reel right now to match this with either.  Any saltwater oriented reel will land any fish in our waters.  

Look at a ODM DNA 9' or a Tsunami Airwave Elite and a Daiwa Saltist or BG 4000 and have a kick butt, super lightweight setup that will serve you for years to come.  You could do this for less than 500 and have room for line, lures and terminal tackle too.  

I only fish from my boat so no good advice on tackle for surf.

But I would echo the more budget for rod than reel.  Casting a lot with a cheap, heavy rod will whip you.  I'd spend more on the rod than reel but don't buy a cheap reel.  $500 is plenty of budget to start out.  If you buy decent gear to start out with you can always upgrade components and swap them out to a backup/buddy outfit.

Lots of good options buying used too if you sorta know what to look for in BST, clist etc.

54 mins ago, pressphotog said:

I don't think this is great advice at all  Your rod is the instrument that will allow you to present your lure or bait.  If you buy a "crappy rod"  that's over or under matched for your style of fishing then that fancy reel you bought to look cool is going to do absolutely nothing for you... not a thing.  

I would counter this and say buy a great rod, a rod that will allow you to cast the things you are going fish.  If you're are for instance going to plug or bucktail then a nice 9' rod like a ODM DNA would be an awesome way to go.  If you want to sling bait then you'll get something to handle the heavier weight of bait and sinkers.  

What I would not do is buy a cheap/crappy rod that won't load on a cast, or casts like a baseball bat.  It will frustrate you and likely fatigue you in no time. I'd suggest alternatively a 9' medium action rod that will catch ANY of the fish in our waters.  You don't need a shinny expensive reel right now to match this with either.  Any saltwater oriented reel will land any fish in our waters.  

Look at a ODM DNA 9' or a Tsunami Airwave Elite and a Daiwa Saltist or BG 4000 and have a kick butt, super lightweight setup that will serve you for years to come.  You could do this for less than 500 and have room for line, lures and terminal tackle too.  

Thank you for the information. I'm going to try to get out there every chance before it gets too cold and learn as much as I can. 

Thank you everyone. I appreciate your responses greatly. It's awesome that a newbie like me is afforded your time in answering such a simple question.   There is so much information on here, almost an overwhelming amount. 

12 hours ago, Joeuns said:

Just trying to get into a new hobby. I'm wondering what kind of gear you guys recommend for fishing off the beach. I'd like to stay below $500 all in.  Thank you for all the help.

What do you plan on fishing for?  l lived there for almost 20 years l did no bait fishing all lures casting for stripbass from under the VZ Bridge all the way south to the Conference House you have around 15 miles of good bass fishing.

8 or 9ft medium action rod 4000 or 5000 the most for a reel.  

2 hours ago, JoelJ said:

I'm the other way around . . . invest in a quality rod . . . it's your tool (weapon) to get your lure / bait out there and to control / put pressure on your catch . . . the decent reel for me is to "reel it in" . . . :bigeyes:

I agree.  So long as the reel functions reasonably well i put more money in the rod.  Cals drag grease  does wonders for mid priced reels

43 mins ago, LB said:

What do you plan on fishing for?  l lived there for almost 20 years l did no bait fishing all lures casting for stripbass from under the VZ Bridge all the way south to the Conference House you have around 15 miles of good bass fishing.

8 or 9ft medium action rod 4000 or 5000 the most for a reel.  

Fishing for pretty much anything. Just to get action. I'm out there just to enjoy the feel of catching something. Getting away from the house and enjoying some silence I guess. All I've done is bait bottom fishing and I have no idea what to do with lures. I'm still reading and trying to watch YouTube on what to do

Bounce around the bay shore with some storm shads and a small white popper. Just keep casting and trying new beaches. 

of you see bait surfacing, stay in that area and keep tossing. 

peace and good luck. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Will you be fishing bait or plugs?

Once you decide that, find rods that are rated for the weight you'll be tossing. If you're concerned with action, ask questions here what actions go with what you're using.

Edited by fishinambition

Posted (edited) · Report post

Visit one of the tackle shop on the island should get you started.  Nicky's tackle, great kill tackle, ez-catch.....

Edited by hobobob