Pat_RI

Offshore storm

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

What you think the wind, waves, and rough seas will have on the fishing the rest of this week/weekend? Suppose to be a nice weekend and was curious about the effects....as you can tell I’m new to saltwater. 

Hey Pat,   glad your getting into saltwater fishing!

After storms like this,  my experience is the fishing kind of stinks for a few days. from either A. lots of sea weed churning up or B. the sediment from ocean bottom dirtying up the water.  I typically go from an area that during the mid summer is almost Bahamas clear water when long periods of good weather are in. Just absolute glass clear water, but once the storms come in the water turns into a brownish mix, quiet ugly.  That said , I come from Galveston where the water is ALWAYS brown thanks to the Mississippi sediment running into the ocean and just because its not crystal clear doesn't always mean that it is not fishable . Fish that rely on sight more like bonito, albacore etc will be harder to catch... sent driven fish like Tog, Blues you can definitely get them in chumming up the water with bait .  Bass for me has been hit or miss in ugly water

I found after weather like we had it always looks great with white water close to shore but it usually ends up sucking give it a few days and it will get good as long as no more storms come through.

Great question; I am curious about this myself. While I don't have much to add when it comes to the aftermath off-shore storms, I was out on Monday day during the big surf. It was way too rough and windy, but I had the day off and stuck with it; ended up skunked. From the replies so far though, it seems like waiting a couple of days for sediment and weeds to clear out (if targeting more picky species) is recommended. Continuing to learn. Thanks, all.

My opinion based on past performance; this type of surf gets knocked down quick in SoCo with a N- NW wind. The wind might even clear out some of the mung and eel grass. 

Water clarity might take awhile to recover. 

My problem with the NW is it seems to blow albies away, at least for awhile. 

The cloudy sandy water won't help either. 

Hopefully it settles quick. 

Going to say screw it and hit South County all weekend trying for whatever bites. Gonna just drive around it hit as many spots as I can. I’m usually a stay in one area for hours person and tossing everything in my bag. 

My favorite conditions include huge surf, clouds and rain. The fish don't seem to mind and I have had some awesome fishing during fall Noreasters and storms. It is awesome seeing a huge blue or bass crush your plug in a gigantic wave. Safety first as always though.

7 hours ago, trwhite said:

My favorite conditions include huge surf, clouds and rain. The fish don't seem to mind and I have had some awesome fishing during fall Nor'easters and storms. It is awesome seeing a huge blue or bass crush your plug in a gigantic wave. Safety first as always though.

Some of the best fishing  I have ever had came during Nor'easters or small hurricanes, I used to make it a point to be out there but not so much now.

Find a safe spot and go fish, this season is ticking away and it is going to be  LONG BORING winter. Better to be out not catching then sitting at home wishing you were trying.