Punch63

Century Surfmachine Elite

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Its been such a busy year with work, I'm thinking of treating myself to a new rod for the collection,

I currently throw an older Century Slingshot 1327 I bought used. Love the rod, my second one - same model,

but looking for an up grade. Century's website has to be one of the worst in all aspects for information/spec's.

So looking for real experience with the rod, and is it worth the price tag.

So far its the best rod ive ever had the pleasure to fish. Light, sensitive, back bone, thin, textreme finish all the way up the blank, i have the 3/4-5 SME and couldnt be happier. Go for it, lifes short.

9 hours ago, Punch63 said:

Its been such a busy year with work, I'm thinking of treating myself to a new rod for the collection,

I currently throw an older Century Slingshot 1327 I bought used. Love the rod, my second one - same model,

but looking for an up grade. Century's website has to be one of the worst in all aspects for information/spec's.

So looking for real experience with the rod, and is it worth the price tag.

Punch, were are you located? If not too far I'd be happy to let you test some. Once you throw one you'll see the difference. 

I bought the one you’re looking at for a trip to Mexico last September. Sadly that trip didn’t materialize.

Keep in mind that at 11’3” and a 1-6 lure rating it’s a big rod and no combination of advanced composites will change that.  Where I fish there are not that many big fish and I don’t have to hit the horizon with my casts to get them. However, I like mixing it up between the surfmachine and my other go-to rod (a 1266 Fiberstar). They both work pencils very well but the surfmachine will work a bigger (2.5 oz+) pencil with more authority. Since metal lips don’t cast very well to begin with, I’m also liking the surfmachine more for casting these.  Maybe this is only in my head, but just getting that little extra bit of distance gives me more confidence.

If I’m only planning to fish smaller ( .75 to 2 oz.) it will probably be the Fiberstar. If I’m planning to add in some larger plugs, or think extra distance will be needed, there is a good chance I’ll grab the surfmachine. 

On the surfmachine elite I’m normally casting lures ranging from one oz to 4 oz and will occasionally cast pencils up to 5 oz. While a lighter rod would be better on the low-end, the surfmachine still does a very good job. It will be around 1.75 to 2 oz where the rod really starts kicking in. At the high end? Well, I’m leaving my physical sweet spot before the rod is out of it’s range of highest mechanical efficiency. 

On casting, I keep telling myself “calm the **** down.” If I keep muscleing it I wear out after 2-3 hours. On the other hand if I focus a bit more on slowing down and good fundamentals I’m getting the same or better distance and can fish a lot longer. Even without good technique, I’m still getting great distance with low powered casts.

I hope this helps. 

You won't regret purchasing the SME its definitely one my favorite rods to fish. I have the 11'3" 3/4-5 and its a treat

Plus it looks sick lol love the textreame finish 

Question for @AFMike and others:

If I were to build a SME 11'3" 3/4-5, would I ever use my Stealth S2 1326 again? I am trying to come up with a slightly heavier rod than the 1326 and that SME sounds too similar to be considered "heavier". I don't like the 1326 with 4oz on it, never mind heavier. 

@Alferd Packer - How "heavy" is the 1-6oz? I have a Blackhole in that range that I bought for this time of year, when the big tarpon are chasing mullet on the beach. But, compared to the 1326, it IS heavier in every way. Thicker too and I just don't enjoy casting it as much as the 1326. So I hit the beach with the Century and accept the possibility of getting spooled as a cost of my enjoyment. 

Yes @AFMike, I am still vacillating on this. 

Tom I'm probably going to pick up an SS1328 for what you're thinking of doing to replace my black hole striped bass special for Tampa beach tarpon in spring. The SME is a bit too much for me to swing on a rod I'll only really use 2-3 months of the year.

50 mins ago, flyangler said:

Question for @AFMike and others:

If I were to build a SME 11'3" 3/4-5, would I ever use my Stealth S2 1326 again? I am trying to come up with a slightly heavier rod than the 1326 and that SME sounds too similar to be considered "heavier". I don't like the 1326 with 4oz on it, never mind heavier. 

@Alferd Packer - How "heavy" is the 1-6oz? I have a Blackhole in that range that I bought for this time of year, when the big tarpon are chasing mullet on the beach. But, compared to the 1326, it IS heavier in every way. Thicker too and I just don't enjoy casting it as much as the 1326. So I hit the beach with the Century and accept the possibility of getting spooled as a cost of my enjoyment. 

Yes @AFMike, I am still vacillating on this. 

The SME 3/4-5 throws 5 oz great and it throws a SP great. I love my S2 but I find myself grabbing my SME more often then not because it pretty much covers 1 - 5oz great.

But I still love my S2...lol

I had an S2 for 3-4 years that I absolutely loved!

Once I purchased the SME it became obsolete so I traded her for an S1 10' 

1 hour ago, RedGreen said:

Tom I'm probably going to pick up an SS1328 for what you're thinking of doing to replace my black hole striped bass special for Tampa beach tarpon in spring. The SME is a bit too much for me to swing on a rod I'll only really use 2-3 months of the year.

Well, that's part of the issue. A full grand for a custom or factory SME, when my 1326 is serving me well, is a bit of a stretch. 

26 mins ago, AFMike said:

The SME 3/4-5 throws 5 oz great and it throws a SP great. I love my S2 but I find myself grabbing my SME more often then not because it pretty much covers 1 - 5oz great.

But I still love my S2...lol

You are not helping! ;-)

But you are basically acknowledging that if one has the 3/4-5oz SME one really does not "need" to have a 1326. 

6 mins ago, nchit said:

I had an S2 for 3-4 years that I absolutely loved!

Once I purchased the SME it became obsolete so I traded her for an S1 10' 

And maybe this is what I need to do. Build the SME, sell the S2 and then build a smaller, lighter Century. hahahahahahahahaha

11 mins ago, flyangler said:

Well, that's part of the issue. A full grand for a custom or factory SME, when my 1326 is serving me well, is a bit of a stretch. 

You are not helping! ;-)

But you are basically acknowledging that if one has the 3/4-5oz SME one really does not "need" to have a 1326. 

And maybe this is what I need to do. Build the SME, sell the S2 and then build a smaller, lighter Century. hahahahahahahahaha

That would solve the problem...lol