Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cow tamer

One Lucky Fisherman

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

(*from Turn to 10)

A 73-year-old Charlestown man is being hailed a hero after saving the life of a fisherman.

Fred Schultz lives part-time at his beach house in Charlestown and also in Boston.

Every morning, he said he gets up early and goes for a run, but Monday was much different after he heard a woman calling for help.

"I couldn't make out what she was saying at first. I saw her arms calling me over while I was running," said Schultz. "As I got to her, she was saying, 'There's somebody in the water.'"

The waves were wicked with an impossible undertow but that didn't stop the 73-year-old from running in.

"As I was running into the water, I thought about our children and grandchildren and that it was the right thing to do," he said.

Schultz was a lifeguard in Misquamicut in the 1960s. He said he was a Boy Scout and worked the waterfront at Yawgoo for years.

It's because of his background he said he felt confident jumping in to save the man from drowning.

"I learned to do this so many years ago, but you don't forget," he said.

"He got knocked down by the waves and once he got knocked down by the waves, and the water got into his boots, he didn't have any control to get out," Schultz explained.

The man was entangled in his fishing line and his waders were weighing him down.

Schultz said he told the man he needed to listen to him for everything to go OK.

He said he was cooperative and listened to him. He pulled him back to shore where shortly after South Kingstown police and an ambulance arrived and took the man to the hospital.

"I was worried because his car was here overnight, I thought, 'Oh no,' but then this morning, he and his wife came and they brought me a bottle of wine and were very grateful," said Schultz.

Schultz said he's happy he was at the right place at the right time and his family is happy he's still here, too. He said he'd do it again without hesitation.

"It's priceless because it's not likely that he would be here today. I'm grateful that I was there, and that the woman was there because if she wasn't there, I wouldn't have known," he said. "I think anybody would do it if you had the skills to do it and the confidence to do it. There's no reason not to do it."

Story most likely written by non fisherman.

Misspelled waders.

Edited by TimS
added text

That's one lucky man. If this guy didn't have lifeguard experience, I think a lot of them would hesitate to go in during today's weather condition.

the most New England thing to add the term "wicked" in an actual news article when describing something

wick·ed
/ˈwikid/

adjective

1. evil or morally wrong.
    "a wicked and unscrupulous politician"

Happens every year

Last fall I watched a guy capsize his boat off watch hill durring a fairly rough day 

Me and one other gentleman helped pull the two of the boaters out of the water and up the rocks, 

Younger guy  would have made it ashore 

Older fella in the boat I have my doubts as he was fairly beat up