Mr. Bigdeal

Fat Boys........fish slayer.

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone here fishin' Corky's........been fishin' this lure all summer and now into the fall with some tremendous success.....the lure is a killer down south on trout and redfish but who knew that Fluke, Bass, Blues and Weakies up here find'em irristable.....do yourself a favor and try fishin' a Fat Boy....you won't regret it.....I'm sold.................thank you..........your welcome.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

No, it's body consists of a cork material inside and a pliable type rubber much like a storm shad on the outside.....when fish bite it, it's been my experience they don't want to let go....there are floating and/or suspending weighted versions.....I've been using the suspending weighted .....awsome lure.....like a mullet or peanut. A killer bait down south.....to fish it you just Twitch It....then pause on the drop.....Best Kept Secret down in Texas.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Anyone here fishin' Corky's........been fishin' this lure all summer and now into the fall with some tremendous success.....the lure is a killer down south on trout and redfish but who knew that Fluke, Bass, Blues and Weakies up here find'em irristable.....do yourself a favor and try fishin' a Fat Boy....you won't regret it.....I'm sold.................thank you..........your welcome.

Which fat boy---  floating or heavier sinking?

Thanks so much for sharing @Mr. Bigdeal  That's good information, can you suggest colors for our local beaches? While I am trying a lot of other lures, would like to give this a shot as well.

Fishin' Fat Boys this morning on the incoming......blues were crushin'em again.....doin' some needed repair work with "Mend It" tonight.......back at it.

Thanks for sharing @Mr. Bigdeal and great videos! Picked one up and threw in the bag today. Its a nifty little lure and casted better then I expected. 

Question, do use this mostly out back and calmer waters? I had trouble keeping consistent action when it was getting caught up in the surf maybe because of the lure buoyancy or not fishing it right on my end. Was using a walk-the-dog retrieve to get the darting action and letting it sit and sink every once in a while.

Actually I don't fish this much like a walk the dog.....No, No.....although there's no wrong way to fish it......IMO...ya got to visualize what the corky is actually doin.....there's a lesson to be learned fishin' this little guy...I fished it in my pool for a time just to see it's characteristics and various darts, wabbles and sinks as it suspends...what I do.

I cast it out and on the initial splash down I twitch/jerk it to embelish the splash, blow it up.. much like a dying fish.....then let it sit and suspend...this is usually when I get vicious strikes....no strike I twitch it again.....then reel slow with pauses to let it sink/wabble.....then a twitch and reel slow again......if ya think your reeling slow enough, reel slower...let the waves play it like a bait fish caught in the swell....only thing, ya don;t want the bait to spin or roll over on the retrieve......must tweak the body and keep it aligned...great bait IMO...I'm now fishin the #12 Black back, pearl sides, chartruce belly to imitate the Shad.....Ha, no one I meet here even knows what the hell I'm fishin'....I believe in sharing info......no harm / no foul, we're all fishermen.

Also, I change out the trebles to 2/0 VMC Inline Singles....

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

38 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Actually I don't fish this much like a walk the dog.....No, No.....although there's no wrong way to fish it......IMO...ya got to visualize what the corky is actually doin.....there's a lesson to be learned fishin' this little guy...I fished it in my pool for a time just to see it's characteristics and various darts, wabbles and sinks as it suspends...what I do.

I cast it out and on the initial splash down I twitch/jerk it to embelish the splash, blow it up.. much like a dying fish.....then let it sit and suspend...this is usually when I get vicious strikes....no strike I twitch it again.....then reel slow with pauses to let it sink/wabble.....then a twitch and reel slow again......if ya think your reeling slow enough, reel slower...let the waves play it like a bait fish caught in the swell....only thing, ya don;t want the bait to spin or roll over on the retrieve......must tweak the body and keep it aligned...great bait IMO...I'm now fishin the #12 Black back, pearl sides, chartruce belly to imitate the Shad.....Ha, no one I meet here even knows what the hell I'm fishin'....I believe in sharing info......no harm / no foul, we're all fishermen.

Also, I change out the trebles to 2/0 VMC Inline Singles....

Thanks man, that's a great description. I was definitely reeling to fast and focusing more on getting it to dart side to side then naturally drift  in the current and waves. Will take this approach on my next outing. Very much appreciated!