Teach Me About Wireless Outdoor Security Cams

Rate this topic

Steve in Mass

Had a house intrusion about two weeks ago. Nothing horrible, but very bizarre and very creepy....but that is a whole other story (Who takes a jar of pickles, a container of ice cream, a jar of coconut oil, a jar of Vaseline, a pair of used $7 sweatpants and leaves their own nearly brand knew Adidas pants in their place, and a bunch of other silly stuff, yet leaves an obvious envelope of a few hundred dollars in cash laying right on the table?)

Anyway, want a camera for less than say $70. I have found a bunch of wireless ones in that range, but am unclear as to what I need to make it work. Best I can tell, with some of them, they can be WiFi and I am hoping that I can get that to my laptop, as I do NOT own a Smart phone or other such device.

Teach me please......

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

You are going to be frustrated trying to go super cheap. $70 is super cheap.   For outdoors the right way to do it is to replace outdoor lights with something like the Ring outdoor camera with flood lights $250. Power is always better.  Also, you want to stay in the same ecosystem, like only buy Ring products or only buy Nest products.  The Arlo wireless stuff is supposed to be good but way more expensive.

That kid that broke into your house probably ate about 10 edibles an hour before he broke in.

Steve, let's call a spade a spade here and tell the truth to us so we can perhaps be of more help.

A "home intrusion" is when someone not invited enters your home via an unlocked door or window.

A "break in" implies a locked door or window. 

Since you typed home intrusion, I'm guessing the former. 

So, cameras are great, but a locked door is cheaper.

I quote things above only to explain the difference, not to mock or make fun of you.

I have ben the victim of a home invasion myself.

Believe I posted about it here. I was home at the time.

Give me a call. Please. 

giphy.gif.468f5fc52e15ff843d6ae6f1516d9963.gif

Who takes a jar of pickles, a container of ice cream, a jar of coconut oil, a jar of Vaseline, a pair of used $7 sweatpants and leaves their own nearly brand knew Adidas pants in their place, and a bunch of other silly stuff, yet leaves an obvious envelope of a few hundred dollars in cash laying right on the table?

Banned in Florida

You are better off, Steve. Some of that stuff is bad for you. 

Seriously get a cell cell phone so you can check the cameras from any where. 

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Ce n'est pas le mur derrière lequel il se passe quelque chose, mais bien la cuisinière dans laquelle on a brûlé quelque chose

4 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Who takes a jar of pickles, a container of ice cream, a jar of coconut oil, a jar of Vaseline, a pair of used $7 sweatpants and leaves their own nearly brand knew Adidas pants in their place

Maybe a prego chick. Munchies, oil and vaseline for stretch marks, needed bigger sweats.

"Depend not on fortune, but on conduct."