Stopsign32v

Braid backing to Mono or Mono backing to Braid to Mono for baitcaster?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Well I'm not new to baitcasters, however I haven't thrown one since 2010. It seems a lot has changed since then and I will now be fishing inshore too. For a small profile baitcaster what do you guys suggest? What I'm mainly worried about is I read a lot of "digging in".

I've read braided backing to mono to make the spool light weight and the mono keeps the digging in away. 

But I have 14lb mono backing to 10lb braid for my spinning setup and I have read of 8lb mono backing to 40-65lb braid for baitcasters. But if you are going with 65lb braid why not just stick to 12-14lb mono? 

What do you guys suggest? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

46 mins ago, Stopsign32v said:

if you are going with 65lb braid why not just stick to 12-14lb mono

cause 65lb braid is stronger?

Out of interest, 65lb braid has a much larger dia than 14lb mono  - 65lb braid 0.45mm vs 14lb mono 0.35mm

A more realistic comparison would be 14lb mono to 30lb or 40lb braid.

What LP reel are you considering and what will you be targeting, throwing and on what rod.

I throw 1-3oz plugs, metals, jigs and bucktails on a fastish action 11' 1-4oz with a Tranx 400 spooled with 30lb braid.

Digging in is not an issue.

What is an issue if I am not paying attention is a period using retrieves that introduce slack line (ie not tightly wound)

If I swap over to a 2oz metal and go straight into a hard cast, it will not end well.

I gradually lengthen my casts until the affected line is off and wond on under better tension, THEN i can let rip

Edited by ZAFisher

4 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Your avatar is the best fighting fish on planet Earth, in my humble, perfect, opinion! I caught a few little ones in Hawaii and really miss em.

2 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

cause 65lb braid is stronger?

Out of interest, 65lb braid has a much larger dia than 14lb mono  - 65lb braid 0.45mm vs 14lb mono 0.35mm

A more realistic comparison would be 14lb mono to 30lb or 40lb braid.

What LP reel are you considering and what will you be targeting, throwing and on what rod.

I throw 1-3oz plugs, metals, jigs and bucktails on a fastish action 11' 1-4oz with a Tranx 400 spooled with 30lb braid.

Digging in is not an issue.

What is an issue if I am not paying attention is a period using retrieves that introduce slack line (ie not tightly wound)

If I swap over to a 2oz metal and go straight into a hard cast, it will not end well.

I gradually lengthen my casts until the affected line is off and wond on under better tension, THEN i can let rip

Sorry 65lb braid is equal to 16lb mono it seems. I've read that 40lb braid is sketchy for digging in and 50-65lb is recommended. You say the only reason is strength but what I'm fishing for (Bass, trout, redfish, flounder) the suggested lb braid for a spinner is 10lb. So when would I need the strength of 65lb? 

It's going to be a 13 Fishing Concept C on a 7'6 Mojo Inshore medium light / moderate action rod. 

I only use thumblevelers. I like 50 or 65 lb braid so it won't slice my thumb on a hit. 12 foot 60 lb Ande leader to grab when landing a fish on the rocks. Load the reel with as much braid as will fit, when it gets worn, or lost, fill with mono, then reverse. Braid can last for years,  I add a few feet of 15 lb mono on the spool to start, for grip, and should I ever hook a sea monster and get to the bitter end, I'd rather not watch my reel rip off the seat and crash through the guides

1 hour ago, Stopsign32v said:

Well I'm not new to baitcasters, however I haven't thrown one since 2010. It seems a lot has changed since then and I will now be fishing inshore too. For a small profile baitcaster what do you guys suggest? What I'm mainly worried about is I read a lot of "digging in".

I've read braided backing to mono to make the spool light weight and the mono keeps the digging in away. 

But I have 14lb mono backing to 10lb braid for my spinning setup and I have read of 8lb mono backing to 40-65lb braid for baitcasters. But if you are going with 65lb braid why not just stick to 12-14lb mono? 

What do you guys suggest? 

Monofilament backing, braid on the top. Braided backing is not something I've ever heard of to be honest; braid tied direct to a spool is almost always a no-no. I wouldn't worry for a second how heavy the spool is. While yes you may have less startup intertia needed with a lighter spool, if you're slinging anything over 3/4oz with that rod reel setup, you'll have no problem getting distance, if that's what you're looking for.

As for the backing, personally, I would never splice 40+lb braid to thin 8lb mono. I would use at least 20lb mono for 40lb+ braid. I prefer the thicker backing so the knot bites better.

Finally, if you are targeting bass, trout, reds, and flounder, you can downsize your braid to 20-30lb, even less if you want. 40,50, 65lb braid is not needed on a reel that small.

Tight lines, 

Peter

2 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

Finally, if you are targeting bass, trout, reds, and flounder, you can downsize your braid to 20-30lb, even less if you want. 40,50, 65lb braid is not needed on a reel that small.

Tight lines, 

Peter

Through all the searching I have done, while some say they have run 20lb braid fine with no digging in, most say do not go under 30lb and most say 40-65lb will have you never worrying about digging in. What my question is, if this is true then other than strength why not just go with all mono or floro? At least then you wouldn't have the headache of tying on a leader. 

for me... the mono size doesnt matter.  for any reels, spinner or casting.
it could be 5lb 15lb 20lb.  its just merely a couple of winds on the spool so when i load whatever braid i use, doesnt slip on the spool.

reel line on and pack the bottom 3/4 or the spool as hard as your hand or tensioner allows.

short of literally cracking the spool,  youll be fine for any line dig since the braid will never dig pass there under normal drags.

most fishing is only done with the top 1/4 of line anyways.

if you hook something that drags out half or more of the spool.

youd have other things to worry about. lol

58 mins ago, Stopsign32v said:

Sorry 65lb braid is equal to 16lb mono it seems. I've read that 40lb braid is sketchy for digging in and 50-65lb is recommended. You say the only reason is strength but what I'm fishing for (Bass, trout, redfish, flounder) the suggested lb braid for a spinner is 10lb. So when would I need the strength of 65lb? 

It's going to be a 13 Fishing Concept C on a 7'6 Mojo Inshore medium light / moderate action rod. 

Was just sharing what I do.

Your set up is much lighter than mine and pretty sure Stewies is heavier still than mine

65lb braid compares to 20-25lb mono (depending on mono brand; I use Maxima as a baseline for my calculations, there are thinner lines for given BS)

Your reel takes about 125yd of 12lb (.32mm) mono.

So it should take (roughly mind you, as braid packs a little better so you may get a bit more on)

30lb braid: 125yd

40lb braid: 100yd

50lb braid: 85yd

65lb braid: 70yd

There are folks spooling up smaller LP's with thinner braid with no drama

Chime in @scoobydoo

Edited by ZAFisher

he would get WAY more then 125 yards of PE2-3 on his reel. lol

closer to 180-230 yards of braid.

there really isnt a need for any braid over 40# for any land based fishing stuff in the lower 48 states.

45 mins ago, ooeric said:

he would get WAY more then 125 yards of PE2-3 on his reel. lol

closer to 180-230 yards of braid.

there really isnt a need for any braid over 40# for any land based fishing stuff in the lower 48 states.

Who mentioned PE2 or PE3 braid?

Unless you believe the diameters printed on labels?

Yes, he would get more than 125 yards of either PE2 or PE3 on the reel, probably 235yd of PE2 and 175yd of PE3, give or take.

PE2 0.24mm actual BS of around 25lb PE3 0.28mm actual BS around 30lb maybe 35lb

PE2 would equate to US spec 10lb

PE3 to US spec 15lb if you look at ACTUAL diameters, the stuff printed on the labels is guff at best.

A US angler referring to 30lb braid is not talking about the same stuff as i do when discussing braid here tin South Africa We call it 50lb because that is its actual BS.

And it's PE4 (0.33mm)

Edited by ZAFisher

Alright ZA,  I was just trying to keep it simple. And not get complex.   As a general rule of thumb PE rating x10 is easy to understand. But not definite.   Using a ****** braid brand or weave that thicker then mono. Then its not my problem.  That's a whole different topic.

I'll just leave a picture of general ratings which ZAFisher started getting into about diameters. 

OP, should take a look at Sufix 832 #20 to load up and call it a day.  You'll probably get about 200 yards onto your reel.  More then enough for most US based fishing.

So I'll just end my conversation here.

table.jpg

Eric you missed my point, US anglers don't (in general) do PE numbers.

I do, and it seems you do too.

OP made reference to advice he was give to use no less than 40lb stated breaking strain on a baitcaster due to dig-in, if he did this he would only get around 100 yards on.

20lb 832 is good idea, it's a PE3 line, and will be failry easy to get used to braid on a LP

14lb Fireline would also be a good idea (easy to pick knots out) as it behaves much like mono

I use 832 on my spinning setup and love it. I really only care about digging in but I also don't want to go with some crazy 65lb braid that I really don't need, ONLY to avoid this. I do want to sling some lures out there with the 7'6 so....Still not sure on what to go with.