jjdbike

iPhone case recommendation please

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Alas, between work, family and friends, music and useful sites and apps like moon, weather, wind & tide.... My iPhone is pretty important to me. Lately both my wife & I have been having bad luck w/ them getting cracked and broken. Apple makes a big point that they're not water proof, bu resistant instead. If they're exposed to water, any warrantee is void.

My question, what cases do you like? I've had problems in the past w/ water proof cases. When the front cover doesn't come in perfect contact w/ the screen it's anywhere from difficult to impossible to use. Also, the sound can be dampened. That being said, it these downsides might be worth it considering the cost of these phones.

What do you folks use & like?

Is OtterBox the gold standard?

JD

I have a Lifeproof on my Iphone Xr. No problems with sound or using the screen. It’s stupid expensive for just a bit of plastic but keeps the phone clean and dry. 

8 mins ago, fishtheeast said:

I have the Pelican marine. I like it a lot. 

Thanks,

That Pelican certainly looks like a beast. My Pelican coolers certainly are. Love them!

Ever had any issues w/ using the screen or muffled sound? Are the regular stock Apple connectors compatible with this case? I've had that problem before w/ the cases.

JD

Posted (edited) · Report post

Agree a good waterproof case is a good idea. I had an Otterbox that worked out well.  In my profession as  a firefighter it took the abuse well from drops,  bangs, and wet environs. A bit bulky but lasted many years. In a pinch a ziplock  bag works . Surfcasting in Hawaii a few years back, no Otterbox, I was knocked down by a wave and before I could recover I was hit by another and sitting on my butt up to my neck in water. Phone in my shorts pocket in the ziplock bag survived the dunk. Thats all I use these days, I"ll double bag if I'm feeling unlucky.

Edited by Livliner

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks,

That Pelican certainly looks like a beast. My Pelican coolers certainly are. Love them!

Ever had any issues w/ using the screen or muffled sound? Are the regular stock Apple connectors compatible with this case? I've had that problem before w/ the cases.

JD

Sound is a little muffled but not bad. Screen is perfect. It doesn’t distort the image or feel like you are pressing the plastic into the screen, it’s flush. All stock apple chargers fit but some other brands were a little big but could be pushed in with a little force. 

I have a pelican case on my iPhone and it’s a quality case for sure. It isn’t one of of the waterproof ones though, I can’t stand big cases on my phones.

Otterbox Defender. Had them for the 6 and now on 7 plus. I never carry it when I surf fished, but it has worked well on the job as a contractor. Nothing is water proof IMHO. 7 Plus is too big for my liking. It was recently gifted to me by BIL who upgraded and I just ordered the Otterbox Defender as the old one had more than provided protection for me.

I just went through this with my iPhone 11. I still believe the otter box defender is the best choice. It doesn’t have complete screen cover or seals around speakers anymore so sound and touch quality are great. Also new iPhones are more waterproof now. The thing I like the best about the defender is it gives me a good grip on the phone when taking fish photos etc. 

17 mins ago, fishtheeast said:

Sound is a little muffled but not bad. Screen is perfect. It doesn’t distort the image or feel like you are pressing the plastic into the screen, it’s flush. All stock apple chargers fit but some other brands were a little big but could be pushed in with a little force. 

thanks!

I’ve been through about 3 Lifeproof cases for my Pro Max. They just didn’t hold up. Kinda strange for the $ Found another water proof case called Temdam on Amazon for about $15 and thought, what the heck. Think cheap lol. Well, as it goes, darn thing turns out to be the best case ever! From fighting big sharks in the surf to monster tarpon, from blazing sun to pouring down rain, no issues thus far. No cracking, no peeling, even filled with sand, no sound issues or screen issues. Really happy with it. Great fit. Even bought a spare after a year which is still in the box lol  

Otterbox commuter case with a tempered glass screen protector.  Best balance of protection without added bulk I've found; never had one break using this setup.  I've been using the same pairing on the past 4+ iPhones I've had and never felt a reason to switch.

Not sure if it's relevant for your model, but just a note that I used to love the Lifeproof cases and then got the Lifeproof FRE case for the latest version of the iphone SE and had to return it. It's a nice affordable case but the home button on the phone isn't a physical button anymore, and I couldn't for the life of me get it to recognize a button push through the case. Never used to be an issue. (Since this is really an issue with the phone it may be that all brands haven't quite caught up to the new tech.)

If you want a cheap solution that takes a tad more room, Plano makes a waterproof container for $5. Fits the largest iPhone size. I am partial to the Mous cases for their shock absorption without the sticker shock of otter box/life proof. I throw my phone in one of these when I'm in the surf, after getting it dunked in a big wave a few weeks back.

A4D4C7AD-6B7E-4D91-9392-853857E5CFE9.jpeg

B4241802-13CD-46A4-8E94-AFC060742AF8.jpeg