Capefox

Akios 757 reel reassembly issue

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I needed to disassemble, clean, lube, and reassemble an Akios 757 CTM. Now if I turn the handle very fast and then stop the handle, the spool makes a dull ratcheting noise and turns a few times before stopping in a second or two. This isn't normal right? How do I fix it? 

2 hours ago, Capefox said:

I needed to disassemble, clean, lube, and reassemble an Akios 757 CTM. Now if I turn the handle very fast and then stop the handle, the spool makes a dull ratcheting noise and turns a few times before stopping in a second or two. This isn't normal right? How do I fix it? 

You're good! Akios is made by Omoto. Omoto used to make the Taiwan Abu's years ago. The 7xxx Abu's always had that run on noise. So did the Omoto's and now the Akios reels.:howdy:

Posted (edited) · Report post

the clunking is normal for abu/akios/omoto.

its a prevention thing so it doesnt chew through the pinion when the spool engages during cast, etc.

ever wonder why if you look at the pinion, they cut it on a slope where it locks the spool clip?

the pinion is bouncing up and down on the spool slip when you stop handle.

thats where it clunks on.  you can reduce the amount of clunk if you shift the spool into the right side plate more.
loosen handle cap, tighten cast control knob, whole thing moves right.

IARs are just pressed in,  should be able to push them out with a wood dowel or similar stick.

Edited by ooeric