BrianC86

Can’t catch anything on LI

10 posts in this topic

My son wants to catch a bass this fall, and I am barely adequate in the saltwater, and useless in freshwater. We’ve tried senkos weightless, wacky, and Texas rigged, poppers, frogs, and crankbaits and I can’t get a bite. Aside from Lake Ronkonkoma shoreline access sucks here and we don’t own a boat. Why can’t I get these damn fish?!

Posted (edited) · Report post

In my experience, the lake you cited is an AWFUL spot to fish from shore. If bass are around and you're throwing senkos, one is eventually going to hit. I would try different water bodies, you have the right idea as far as baits go. Google earth is your friend, plenty of spots in that area with better bass fishing. And don't think bigger means better when it comes to the pond/lakes

around here, often the opposite is true.

Edited by C.Robin

Wacky rigged 5" Senko is all you need, Find the cover or structure and let it drop.

Edited by nfnDrum

Just now, nfnDrum said:

Wacky rigged 5" Senko in pupkin or watermelon, throw let it fall to bottom, lift it up, reel in leave slight slack repeat drop, it will land a bass. 

That’s been my go to, I can vaguely remember landing them as kid this way. Still not a thing, I’ll try dawn next time

35 mins ago, BrianC86 said:

That’s been my go to, I can vaguely remember landing them as kid this way. Still not a thing, I’ll try dawn next time

The bite has changed over the last 2 weeks, the weeds are dying off.  Last week was a slow bite nothing on top water for me. Drop shoting weed edges has picked up a few small fish. I ordered an assortment of lures to play with. Water is getting clear so they may not be so easily fooled. 

Edited by nfnDrum

These have all been tips to catch bass.  If you are just trying to get a bend in the rod, try a 1/32 ball head jig with a 1.5 inch curly tail on it neutral color like smoke or green pumpkin in clear water and a bright color in stained.  Perch and Crappie are getting more active right now.  Bluegill and Pumpkinseeds have the feed bag on but it's hit or miss.  When they are eating its one every cast, when they're not.....

Ha! so I checked out the Bassmaster fishing calendar, it has been pretty dead on with its predictions in recent days. Poor fishing. 

Edited by nfnDrum

1 hour ago, nfnDrum said:

Ha! so I checked out the Bassmaster fishing calendar, the has been pretty dead on with its predictions in recent days. Poor fishing. 

I’ll always take the opportunity to blame anything but myself for my lack of catching haha