kayaknshore

Kayak Camping/Fishing in the Everglades.

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'm a fisherman from the northeast and I'm planning a kayak/camping trip in the Everglades in the coming few months. I am pretty flexible for when I take the trip. When is the best time to go for fishing and what species can I run into? I'm going to be camping near Oyster bay and will fish the gulf/bays. 

Has anyone on the forum done something similar and would like to share their experiences? 

Where are you getting into the glades? through flamingo or EC?  I spend a lot of time down there and have done some camping.  

OK, That's a good plan.  I think they are going to go to a online ordering for sites.  Be sure to check it out before heading out.  Be sure to have all your sites picked and booked before you leave.  Beach front at sable is supposed to be great with minimal bugs if the wind is right.  Also lots of great places ocean front all the way up with some good fishing inside and outside.  Instead of an end to end consider loops out of one end so you get to really explore an are and have easy access to resources if needed.  Just Florida bay is worth a few days of fishing.  When is this trip?  I will be down 11/6-24ish.  Scott

I would go as soon as the heat is low enough for you to tolerate the nights, and before it gets too cold for decent fishing.  HAve friends that spend 5-7 days out there on new years week and enjoy the heck pout of it but mostly trout, spanish macs and sharks etc.  Wind can be brutal in the winter as well.  Need lots of plan B's, thus back to my loop ideas.  I can make a couple of them out of EC for ya if you get interested.  Scott

@ScottO

I'm still trying to figure out the timing of the trip. My options currently are early December or early April. 

March may be open but that is TBD. 

What months are the major runs for fishing in the Florida area? I'm interested in catching tarpon, snook, reds, cobia. I would also really like to catch a sailfish from the yak but that's ambitious. 

4 mins ago, ScottO said:

Need lots of plan B's, thus back to my loop ideas.  I can make a couple of them out of EC for ya if you get interested.  Scott

The loops are a good idea. I'd prefer to get to know an area well over covering the most ground as possible. 

Thank you!

Remember this area is an estuary, juvi fish in a lot of places and times but in summer, april, may, june, and july the fish are big, and close, and easy to get to. My best time to fish down there is the two weeks I spend in July but it is hot as balls.  Sails...probably not from this area.  Cobia tend to run off the wrecks about 3-5 miles out, but have been caught in Choko bay as well as spanish macks etc.  Lots of good fishing in chokoloskee bay if you learn how to do it .  Of the two dats I would go early april.  But it can be hot, very hot and you may want to consider day trips or pick the night and sweat a lot.  Can give you several loops out of EC and Choko if you go this route, I fish in the area a fair amount.  But it is always fishing not catching but I usually do pretty good.