dlaurend

Swan River Dennis Ma

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Don’t need spots just looking to see what tide is best for fly fishing the mouth.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

This area tends to be better in the spring but it is quite shallow in general so around high tide you would have better chance of catching fish. If you could fish the top of the outgoing around sunrise or sunset then you might find something.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, JEFFSOD said:

This area tends to be better in the spring but it is quite shallow in general so around high tide you would have better chance of catching fish. If you could fish the top of the outgoing around sunrise or sunset then you might find something.

So Dennis has been completely dead for me with a spinning rod, are you telling me there's a chance?

D.png

Edited by ifishthebadspots

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ebb - loads of sand bars at the mouth that see bust ups in June. Lots of small fish generally in my experience. I've not fished it at night which might be better.

Edited by JRT

You got two choices. It depends. Either might work.

Spring tides in the fall are important.

Not as easy as the spring. Shadow says to move around and that should help you find fish.

Dont neglect the Outside. 

mikey

10 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

You got two choices. It depends. Either might work.

Spring tides in the fall are important.

Not as easy as the spring. Shadow says to move around and that should help you find fish.

Dont neglect the Outside. 

mikey

what do you mean by Spring Tides? 

Spring tides - when the moon and the sun work together to make Bigger tides...good time to fish second only to when you can actually get out and fish

The swan river area can be productive but think of it as an area not just the river...the structure isn't enough to concentrate the fish they will relate to the bait which will move and can be well off shore and down from the river...

You have Bass River a mile away and a much more substantial and productive estuary system for your purposes than Swan... I’ve fly fished that system many times and your time would be better spent there if you must remain within the range of Swan River...

8 mins ago, dlaurend said:

what do you mean by Spring Tides? 

Sorry should not have assumed you knew what spring tides are.

For a full explanation best to google up.

Approx every two weeks we get a spring tide. One is a full moon the other a dark moon when the night is really black.

At this time the sun and moon are aligned and have the greatest pull on the earth. This cause the tides to move much further. So tides are bigger and this can lead to better fishing.

low tide is lower and high tide is higher up the beach. The speed of the water is quicker to as it has to travel this increased distance in about the same time.

Opposite to Spring tides are Neaps when the tides are smallest.

Study a tide chart and you can see how the size of the tides change daily from neaps to springs. The tides get bigger as they reach a spring tide period and then wane as they approach the neaps.

It is important to understand the effects of tides as it can have a significant impact on your safety and welfare especially on flats and when fishing esturies.

Springs can have a huge effect on the quality of the fishing to.

mike

I would not try and link spring tides with breaking tides in the Canal in order to understand what a spring tide is,

If you go to Boatman Tides  MA all you have to do is select any month of the year and by picking out the highest high tide and lowest low tide you will know you are looking at a spring tide. The tides stay high for just a few days.

I prefer the dark moon spring tides.

Most good tide charts will show the stage of the moon as well.

If you are serious about catching fish in the ocean and also staying safe you must understand what tides are and what they  mean on the beaches you want to fish.

Mike

Mike said 

Approx every two weeks we get a spring tide. One is a full moon the other a dark moon when the night is really black.

The dark moon he speaks of is the ,New Moon ( no Moon at all )

ccb,

Thanks for adding that. It’s important to get it right for the OP.

I should have called it New Moon tide.  My favourite tide for a lot of the spots I fish on the Cape. Even less other Fishers about then to as an added bonus.

mike

We new what you said , but maybe some , may not. 
hope you guys on the other side of the pond are all well.  Stay safe  ccb