Looking for a 8ft Japanese Seabass type rod

Rate this topic

Tailslap

Looking for a new 8ft rod with a shorter surf type butt section. Like those you can find in Japanese Seabass rods. Looking for a rod that excels at 3/4oz - 1 1/2oz.  I believe the Dark Matter OB could be a contender but would like to here what else is out there. Price is no object. Megabass, Black Hole, Daiwa, etc. 

29 mins ago, pakalolo said:

wit for it , here it comes, any second now it will be KILSONG to the rescue with a Black Hole something or other.

Unless he builds/gets it built with a shorter butt, no. BH's are built to make US surf anglers (in general) happy and you prefer longer butt sections.

Typical Japanese (or Korean for that matter) Sea Bass stick of 8' or so would have butts that are more "inshore" style.

Like shown below on an 8'3" Yamaga TZ

Yamaga TZ-Nano 83TZ-NANO.jpg

Edited by ZAFisher

Suzuki ( Japanese seabass) are not big nor powerful.  10 lb suzuki regarded as big.

However, they are very popular in Japan and Korea.

We introduced 9'6" and 10' Suzuki rods with longer butt for the US market.

We are introducing 8', 8'6", 9' and 9'6" Suzuki II UL rods which are very similar to Japanese suzuki rods with shorter butt section. But they are not available i 2020.

Currently high end 8' Black Hole Challenger Bank 801 L rod or 7'9" Black Hole Challenger Bank 791 UL are recommended.  You can cast 1/2 oz - 2 oz.

catches with 7'9" Black Hole Challenger Bank 791 UL including 41 lb bass

cb79ul3.jpg

cb79ul41lb.jpg

2 hours ago, pakalolo said:

wit for it , here it comes, any second now it will be KILSONG to the rescue with a Black Hole something or other.

You know whats more annoying? People constantly whining about it. The OP listed BH as a brand hes considering,  BH makes a rod named after Japanese sea bass and kil pays to advertise here.

3 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Looking for a new 8ft rod with a shorter surf type butt section. Like those you can find in Japanese Seabass rods. Looking for a rod that excels at 3/4oz - 1 1/2oz.  I believe the Dark Matter OB could be a contender but would like to here what else is out there. Price is no object. Megabass, Black Hole, Daiwa, etc. 

zenaq fokeeto light

they make a 7'8 spin, as mentioned above, call tomo. He will ship it.  

6 mins ago, fvgourami3 said:

zenaq fokeeto light

they make a 7'8 spin, as mentioned above, call tomo. He will ship it.  

I already do a little business with Tomo so this is good news. I may need a Japanese  rod connection since rods are so expensive to ship from Japan these days. I have owned a Zenaq tuna rod in the past so I am aware of their quality. 

Edited by Tailslap

13 mins ago, Tailslap said:

I already do a little business with Tomo so this is good news. I may need a Japanese  rod connection since rods are so expensive to ship from Japan these days. I have owned a Zenaq tuna rod in the past so I am aware of their quality. 

Best guy to do business with. such a wonderful shop.

I just picked up a Diawa Proteus from Tomo this weekend.  I went in looking for a new kayak albie rod, picked up 4-5 rods, and thought the proteus was the one for me.  

i don’t know what a Japanese seabass rod is, but this has a shorter butt and will be comfortable from the yak.  I hope to put a bend in it this week when this wind lets up.

5 hours ago, VitaminDee said:

Zenaq Rods, Tomo  in Salem can get em for you.

I’ll pile on with more praise for both Zenaq and Tomo.  Just picked up a Zenaq rod from him recently. 

55 mins ago, Inshore said:

Zenaq Sonio 100M.... Done!

I’m personally on the lookout for this rod and would have suggested it myself were it not for the 10’ length  

How about something from the Century Weapon or Weapon Jr series?  Lots of different options it seems, but hard to find info.