flyangler

Want a rod slightly heavier than my beloved Century S2 1326 - thoughts?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have an older (pre-graphene) Century Stealth S2 1326 created for me by Ryan White at Hatteras Jack.  Paired with a VR125 spooled with 30# braid, this is my favorite combo for fishing the open ocean beaches of South Florida and inlet mouths. 

I love the moderate action of this blank, its flex and its fish-fighting ability. Some may recall my post from two years ago about landing a tarpon of 100+ pounds with this rod from the beach. I remain convinced that a stiffer, faster blank would have pulled that Hogy hook straight under the pressure that was applied. The S2 was very forgiving of my inexperience with such a beast. 

Since I have owed this rod, while this blank is nominally rated for 2-5 oz, I spend most time in what I see as its sweet spot of 1.5-3.0oz. I have tried throwing 4oz Roberts Big Shot but it is more of a lob than a power cast. And yet I can cast a 1oz Hogy ProTail as far as I want which has always had me questioning the 2-5oz rating thinking it would be more accurate at 1.4oz. But that's me. 

Anyway, I would like a 11-12' rod with similar taper, "parabolic" action, flex but being in a slightly heavier lure range (a real 2-5oz or 2-6oz spec sheet rating). The Century S2s cap out with the 1326 so there is nothing in that line. I don't know enough about Century's other series like the Surf Machine, etc. but hope someone here can enlighten me. 

My 1326 is spooled with 30# and the next rod would likely use 40# braid. I do not anticipate throwing any bait (live or chunk) so this is for big plugs/lures. This rod would be the go-to option for tarpon and sharks. Think 2.5-4.5oz Roberts Rangers, GT Ice Cream, large poppers, pencils, 4oz jig/paddletails, maybe some swimmers, etc. 

I like Century and would like to stick with them. If there was a S2 1328 or 1448 with graphene, this post would be unnecessary. I could consider other blanks, assuming action, etc. was comparable. CTS? Phenix? Japanese? 

I would probably prefer blank recommendations since I may wrap this rod myself (or have Ryan do it if another Century). 

Thanks!

Edited by flyangler

8 hours ago, flyangler said:

I have an older (pre-graphene) Century Stealth S2 1326 created for me by Ryan White at Hatteras Jack.  Paired with a VR125 spooled with 30# braid, this is my favorite combo for fishing the open ocean beaches of South Florida and inlet mouths. 

I love the moderate action of this blank, its flex and its fish-fighting ability. Some may recall my post from two years ago about landing a tarpon of 100+ pounds with this rod from the beach. I remain convinced that a stiffer, faster blank would have pulled that Hogy hook straight under the pressure that was applied. The S2 was very forgiving of my inexperience with such a beast. 

Since I have owed this rod, while this blank is nominally rated for 2-5 oz, I spend most time in what I see as its sweet spot of 1.5-3.0oz. I have tried throwing 4oz Roberts Big Shot but it is more of a lob than a power cast. And yet I can cast a 1oz Hogy ProTail as far as I want which has always had me questioning the 2-5oz rating thinking it would be more accurate at 1.4oz. But that's me. 

Anyway, I would like a 11-12' rod with similar taper, "parabolic" action, flex but being in a slightly heavier lure range (a real 2-5oz or 2-6oz spec sheet rating). The Century S2s cap out with the 1326 so there is nothing in that line. I don't know enough about Century's other series like the Surf Machine, etc. but hope someone here can enlighten me. 

My 1326 is spooled with 30# and the next rod would likely use 40# braid. I do not anticipate throwing any bait (live or chunk) so this is for big plugs/lures. This rod would be the go-to option for tarpon and sharks. Think 2.5-4.5oz Roberts Rangers, GT Ice Cream, large poppers, pencils, 4oz jig/paddletails, maybe some swimmers, etc. 

I like Century and would like to stick with them. If there was a S2 1328 or 1448 with graphene, this post would be unnecessary. I could consider other blanks, assuming action, etc. was comparable. CTS? Phenix? Japanese? 

I would probably prefer blank recommendations since I may wrap this rod myself (or have Ryan do it if another Century). 

Thanks!

11' or 12' Surf Machine Elite 1- 5 oz. Throws its whole range great. Have laid into it with 5oz and throws an SP Minnow as far as I've ever seen one go. I have both blanks in stock and I'm sure Ryan does as well, he's my business partner. You will not find a better rod. It has a more moderate bend with incredible distance.  As big a fan as I am of the S2 the Elite is very next level.

7 hours ago, flyangler said:

That sound you may have heard was my jaw hitting my keyboard when I saw the near $1,100 sticker price. Ouch! 

While it does carry quite the price tag its unlike any rod you've ever fished.  The distance and power are unreal all packed into a low diameter blank. Run full length with textreme and also run with graphene 

2 hours ago, AFMike said:

While it does carry quite the price tag its unlike any rod you've ever fished.  The distance and power are unreal all packed into a low diameter blank. Run full length with textreme and also run with graphene 

Mike - What guides on the factory rod? 

Please PM me the cost of the blank for the model you mentioned. Or post here. 

Actually, I should just ask for a quote on wrapping the blank using the same design I used for the 1326, love that configuration. 

Will need to sell some other rods that don't get used much.....