ifishthebadspots

Before I pull the trigger on this...

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Is M power rod enough to fish in the canal and surf, or do I truly need MH? I'm looking at tsunami II rods. I feel like M would be so amazing because of casting distance and how light they are, but I won't order it if I can't fish these spots with them. Also, is 9' significantly lighter than 10'?

3 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Is M power rod enough to fish in the canal and surf, or do I truly need MH? I'm looking at tsunami II rods. I feel like M would be so amazing because of casting distance and how light they are, but I won't order it if I can't fish these spots with them. Also, is 9' significantly lighter than 10'?

A 2-6oz+ rod is more appropriate for the canal. 1-4's work too but the bigger the fish, crowds, & current are, the worse off you are.

I agree with the above. The power rating on rods are so subjective they are nearly meaningless. 

The true fighting power of a rod is more strongly correlated with the lure rating. But of course those are often understated or overstated based on the manufacturer. IMO a rod that can handle casting 5 oz as hard as  you can is the minimum power for big fish hunting in those strong currents.

those rods do not excel at casting your sp minnows and the like but they can still do it and will give you a chance at handling the fish of a lifetime

17 mins ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Well, I have a bag of SP minnows...

still will be fine to throw on a 2-6. anything lighter can give you issues with a large fish in current and with neighbors 

1 hour ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

still will be fine to throw on a 2-6. anything lighter can give you issues with a large fish in current and with neighbors 

The weird thing is, they have 2 specs listed for the same 10' model everywhere online. Some say 1-5 oz, which makes more sense, but others say 3-6... I don't know what I'm buying here.

On 9/21/2020 at 11:42 PM, ifishthebadspots said:

The weird thing is, they have 2 specs listed for the same 10' model everywhere online. Some say 1-5 oz, which makes more sense, but others say 3-6... I don't know what I'm buying here.

What rod are you actually looking at here?

9 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

What rod are you actually looking at here?

I ended up ordering TSTIISS-1002MH, as 9' are sold out everywhere. When you go to several sites, it's listed as 1-5 or 3-6 oz for this same model number.

Well, this was quick.

I didn't like it too much either. I assume it is fairly light for a 10-footer, but the tip was not sensitive at all and felt stiff as hell. It didn't bend like those rods that whip bullets at all. It cast decently far, but not too impressive. Their MH seems like a fail. I will work on resolving this :(

20200926_000702.jpg

20200926_000645.jpg

That's just thread and a poor epoxy job- nothing structural or to worry about. Cheap machine made rods are going to have poor craftsmanship. Maybe try a custom rod and pay more if you're interested in better craftsmanship or buy some mix for $10 and overcoat the threads. 

1 hour ago, East Tide said:

That's just thread and a poor epoxy job- nothing structural or to worry about. Cheap machine made rods are going to have poor craftsmanship. Maybe try a custom rod and pay more if you're interested in better craftsmanship or buy some mix for $10 and overcoat the threads. 

Well, the crack was small but it went through the joint, and the casting distance instantly dropped. This rod is toast, maybe I got unlucky.

Screenshot_20200926-224613.png