JimK

What do you dress your bucktails with?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm sure this has been covered here before, but it's important to me now LOL so I'm throwing it out there. I've never been the greatest Bucktail fisherman, but there are definitely times when I know they are what I should be using. I know all about choosing the right weight for the situation and confident I am doing that. Mainly I've been using white twisty tails as dressing on the Bucktail. If that's what successfull for you, how do you decide which length to use? What else do you find successful to tip your bucktails with? Thanks!

Edited by JimK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curly tail grubs. There’s literally a plethora of rubber options available. Otter tails n gulp are nice when chasing flat fish. A split tail is good as well as a double split tail is good when more vibration is desired 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i like a curly tail but for me by far in current on calmer nights i have done better with either a sluggo or fin s fish.  thats not to say pork rinds aren't great but they aren't that easy to get any more. some nights a curly tail just seems like too much action and the subtler sluggo or fin s seems to work just right to add profile and bouyancy. all that being said on a "normal" night i probably have 4 or 5 different trailer options on me as well as a few different size bucktails as well as plain ball jigs in different sizes. i like jigs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had luck with Otter Tails, either the short straight or the short curly.  They seem to hold up pretty well and don't dry out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like @BrianZ I LOVE MY JIGS.

 

To the OP, it all depends on how invested you are in jigging. If you want to keep it simple throw on a curly tail or an otter tail if you want something a bit tougher. But the trailer can and does make a difference. Like Brian Z said there are quite a few factors to determine which trailer to pick. Factors that help me decide include current, wave action, wind, clarity, depth, and bait presence.

 

A long straight otter tail can be manipulated many ways with your clips to do what you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use curly tails almost exclusively. On occasion i'll put an odd ball rubber that i would have thrown away otherwise and more often than not am surprised by it. Sometimes teh trailer will have a paddle to give the jig some "float". Or it depends on whatever i have laying around the back of my truck. To master the jig first requires a white bucktail and a white worm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Like @BrianZ I LOVE MY JIGS.

 

To the OP, it all depends on how invested you are in jigging. If you want to keep it simple throw on a curly tail or an otter tail if you want something a bit tougher. But the trailer can and does make a difference. Like Brian Z said there are quite a few factors to determine which trailer to pick. Factors that help me decide include current, wave action, wind, clarity, depth, and bait presence.

 

A long straight otter tail can be manipulated many ways with your clips to do what you want.

I've been chasing stripers for a lot of years now and consider myself to be a fairly decent fisherman. But ive never really mastered jigging. I feel like im missing out on the fish that are near the bottom in areas with decent flow.  So I'm looking to step up my game. So I'm definitely going to become more invested in jigging  this season.  Thanks to all for your input... I guess like with anything else I'm going to have to experiment and see what works best in any given situation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JimK said:

I've been chasing stripers for a lot of years now and consider myself to be a fairly decent fisherman. But ive never really mastered jigging. I feel like im missing out on the fish that are near the bottom in areas with decent flow.  So I'm looking to step up my game. So I'm definitely going to become more invested in jigging  this season.  Thanks to all for your input... I guess like with anything else I'm going to have to experiment and see what works best in any given situation

Awesome! I wish you the most joyous bucktail power hours

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mike07gsxr said:

If it's late and all tackle shops are closed, condoms actually work great as trailers.

Coney Island White Fish!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm by no means an aficionado but I have the longer otter tails and I'll keep a few different sizes/styles that I've pre-made with scissors. Usually a larger size, smaller size and one where I've created a split tail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎09‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 7:42 AM, Heavy Seas said:

I'm by no means an aficionado but I have the longer otter tails and I'll keep a few different sizes/styles that I've pre-made with scissors. Usually a larger size, smaller size and one where I've created a split tail.

The custom split tail is my favorite around rain bait. Killer action much like pork rind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

The custom split tail is my favorite around rain bait. Killer action much like pork rind

I think it was the Uncle Josh 240S that I've always fished which has a split tail so that is where I got it from. Trying to mimic that profile since I have a lot of confidence fishing those on the back of a bucktail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.