Richard_the_Aughth

Century weapon jr

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, huntertom said:

Would an 8’ Weapon handle a good sized cobia while pitching eels or 2-3oz bucktails? How about jigging or live baiting bull reds? All from a boat. 6000 sized reel.

It can throw eels and definitely jig 2-3 oz bucktails. 6k sized reel might be a bit much though. 

15 hours ago, huntertom said:

Would an 8’ Weapon handle a good sized cobia while pitching eels or 2-3oz bucktails? How about jigging or live baiting bull reds? All from a boat. 6000 sized reel.

Absolutely.  I've had guys take tuna to 80lbs on the 7' Weapon.

15 hours ago, huntertom said:

Absolutely.  I've had guys take tuna to 80lbs on the 7' Weapon.

Look what just arrived from Black Pelican Custom Rods...my new 7'10" Weapon Jr but this has a slightly different blank.  I asked for a rod to honor Americans, pretty pumped about throwing this.  Hopefully tomorrow for some albies.  Titanium guides, HOOK KEEPER!!!, and all the other fun stuff.

He also fixed my 7' Weapon Jr with a new tip.

20211014_114655.jpg.f4e95cc02b2e413154091a7c995aaec5.jpg

20211014_114710.jpg.a5f17ef2c872b706332ec7ecfabd41a3.jpg

20211014_114950.jpg.c8fad43dbc4d2a1dbc8cd291ac7f1a57.jpg

20211014_114722.jpg.ec19effcaaa0bb527fa3427c0d83fb36.jpg

Lucky rod.  Caught an albie on first cast!  Rod is amazing.  Throwing it back to back with stock weapon jr, I like it better.  Bit faster and bit more backbone.

37 mins ago, WorcBoy said:

how do you like that ALPS seat?

So far I love it.  I specifically asked for a slimmer seat.  My other black pelicans have the aluminum triangle seat and I don't like how they feel.

The new seat is very slim but still fairly rigid.  Feels like a good compromise between slim, light and comfortable.

how do you think it will feel wet?

reason I/m asking is I built a friend a 710 american tackle rod. split winn grips with a carbon fiber looking DPS style seat. It gets too slick when wet. my buddy at Cote's fly shop is an ALP dealer and I've been handling that seat for a few years. 

Thanks

Edited by WorcBoy

5 mins ago, WorcBoy said:

how do you think it will feel wet?

reason I/m asking is I built a friend a 710 american tackle rod. split winn grips with a carbon fiber looking DPS style seat. It gets too slick when wet. my buddy at Cote's fly shop is an ALP dealer and I've been handling that seat for a few years. 

Thanks

I'll dunk it for you Thursday and report.  I don't usually get wet on the boat though.  Just feeling it dry compared to Winn grips on the rod, I don't know if I'd call it a good wet grip option.  I think Winns are decent wet.

winn grips are fine, very tacky. It's the reel seat itself i'm curious about. 

Don't go dunking it for me.....just stick your hand in the water and let me know how the seat feels, lol

Edited by WorcBoy

1 hour ago, WorcBoy said:

winn grips are fine, very tacky. It's the reel seat itself i'm curious about. 

Don't go dunking it for me.....just stick your hand in the water and let me know how the seat feels, lol

OK so I got my hand wet and rubbed both.  The seat is a little less tacky than the WINN, maybe 20%?  It's not like foam but the plastic does have a bit of tack to it.  Seems about the same as the Fuji nylon if that helps.