Richard_the_Aughth

Century weapon jr

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I am interested in this rod, the 8 ft model, but dont know much about it from the website. For example, is it a spinning rod? 

 

Anyone else own one? I have a SS1327 which is amazing, best rod ive owned. Ive been looking for a quality fresh water rod that is 8 ft long that throws 1/4oz to 1.5oz, and this rod fits the bill. It is super hard to find an 8ft fresh water rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Do you know if they are all spinning rods?

I believe that they are all spinning but you can call Hatteras Jacks (252) 987-2428  and they can tell you. Ryan White the owner is the main US Century guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have 4, ranging from 7-8 foot.

 

They are legit, as is the customer service. 

 

I will say, they handle the 1.0 oz range magically. Under 1/2 is fair distance depending on the reel and braid your using. 

 

I didn't have an epic striper year, but it handled some decent bass in the 30 pound range perfectly, as well as forty something albies thus far. it should be fine for any freshwater fish that swims. my favorite model is the 7'6 

Edited by fvgourami3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I want spinning, that is why I wanted to make sure it is a spinning rod

Yup, What do you fish for? It really takes a lot to load up, i imagine it wouldn't be a great bass rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, fvgourami3 said:

Yup, What do you fish for? It really takes a lot to load up, i imagine it wouldn't be a great bass rod. 

?  I've thrown as low as 1/4 and 3/8 and up to 2 on the 7' weapon jr with no issue.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

51 mins ago, hhager23 said:

?  I've thrown as low as 1/4 and 3/8 and up to 2 on the 7' weapon jr with no issue.  

i phrased that wrong, the last comment i meant it might take a bigger fish to really feel anything on the rod. It wouldnt be my first choice for freshwater fish, but maybe he fishes for stripers or cats? Not hating on the lure weights at all, 1/2 flies, don't go much below that generally. 

Edited by fvgourami3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, fvgourami3 said:

i phrased that wrong, the last comment i meant it might take a bigger fish to really feel anything on the rod. It wouldnt be my first choice for freshwater fish, but maybe he fishes for stripers or cats? Not hating on the lure weights at all, 1/2 flies, don't go much below that generally. 

Lake trout and land locked salmon is mostly what I would want the distance for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Lake trout and land locked salmon is mostly what I would want the distance for

Oh thats cool, yeah man, that would launch a tin a mile. I am a big advocate of the century demon as well, they have an 8 foot model thats amazing, but its only rated to 1.25. The demons are my first choice for light lures in finesse applications.

 

heres a picture of its action, albie dogging deep, however i feel like they would be wonderful salmonoid rods. 

 

The 8 is rated 1/32-1.25 Variable action. 

 

0-20.jpg

Edited by fvgourami3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, fvgourami3 said:

Oh thats cool, yeah man, that would launch a tin a mile. I am a big advocate of the century demon as well, they have an 8 foot model thats amazing, but its only rated to 1.25. The demons are my first choice for light lures in finesse applications.

 

heres a picture of its action, albie dogging deep, however i feel like they would be wonderful salmonoid rods. 

 

The 8 is rated 1/32-1.25 Variable action. 

 

0-20.jpg

Sweet. I always wondered about the Demon. I'm primarily inshore salt but I'd like to know more about what you think of the Demon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, hhager23 said:

Sweet. I always wondered about the Demon. I'm primarily inshore salt but I'd like to know more about what you think of the Demon.

amazing rod. Light though. I got on an albie feed for close to 10 hours that day. It will never happen again. I had the demon and the weapon,jr. Basically the weapon can beat an albie in 2 minutes. (they were big)  The demon you had to really concentrate and take your time. They are strong but also fragile.

 

I really enjoyed casting small unweighted plastics on the flats to stripers and blues with the demon  this year though . Just have to take your time, if your looking to target bigger fish, prob not the rod. They will work, but will tire the fish out.  Im pretty visual, i like to go catch 22-24 bass in the am, not a trophy hunter. So they worked wonderfully for me. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, fvgourami3 said:

amazing rod. Light though. I got on an albie feed for close to 10 hours that day. It will never happen again. I had the demon and the weapon,jr. Basically the weapon can beat an albie in 2 minutes. (they were big)  The demon you had to really concentrate and take your time. They are strong but also fragile.

 

I really enjoyed casting small unweighted plastics on the flats to stripers and blues with the demon  this year though . Just have to take your time, if your looking to target bigger fish, prob not the rod. They will work, but will tire the fish out.  Im pretty visual, i like to go catch 22-24 bass in the am, not a trophy hunter. So they worked wonderfully for me. 

 

 

 

Now I got mixed feelings. To be honest I fish for food. I love a good fight and don't care about trophies but I'm surprised at the confidence that I have in the weapon jr.. It's a helluva rod for a jr. I'm not sure I have enough finesse for a demon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.