dannyplug1

BULLET PROOF STOCKING FOOT WADERS

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

looking for recommendations for a tough stocking foot wader.  I have been using Korker boots and a wet suit and it has become too cold.  I have a good pair of Simms boot foot but they don't give me the traction I need on rocks I think a stocking foot would be better.  and Ideas.  I am cold in the wet suit because where I fish I wade through the water at waist deep and get on a rock.  at my age 63 going on 64 next month I don't have the balance to fight the waves half way deep in them.  thanks old man Chuck

6 mins ago, dannyplug1 said:

looking for recommendations for a tough stocking foot wader.  I have been using Korker boots and a wet suit and it has become too cold.  I have a good pair of Simms boot foot but they don't give me the traction I need on rocks I think a stocking foot would be better.  and Ideas.  I am cold in the wet suit because where I fish I wade through the water at waist deep and get on a rock.  at my age 63 going on 64 next month I don't have the balance to fight the waves half way deep in them.  thanks old man Chuck

I just ordered a pair of the Redington Crosswater Stockingfoot waders, so far they seem like really good quality and very affordable. You can get an additional 10% off from AvidMax too if you are a first time buyer from the site. 

Old Man Chuck, Old Man Chris here 59 going on 60 in January :D I honestly don't think there are any waders they can be considered bulletproof, the warrantees that some manufacturers used to offer seem to have gone the way of the dinosaur so I use Caddis stocking foot with a Simms boot and KoldKutter studs. The Caddis perform well, are very reasonably priced so that you don't lose an arm and a leg if you replace them every few seasons. 

Just one question, have you tried using a foul weather top over your wetsuit to cut the chill when you're wet and exposed to the cold air?

Chuck,

I am as tough on my waders on the next guy, so I can vouch for the integrity of my Steelheaders by FroggToggs. I personally like this particular one since it has removable insulated pads from the knee up- especially convenient when the weather goes back and forth between hot and freezing. I have felt-soled boot foot waders in this model, but they have stocking foot also.

If I had to name a negative of the design, the method to remove/ re-attach the insulation is via a zipper. With the insulation out, if you don't get the zipper tucked up and away just right it can rub against bare skin on your leg and give you some discomfort. I usually wear a pair of thin pants underneath anyway but if you plan to wear the waders in your birthday suit, it's something to keep in mind :howdy:

I just bought a pair of Dryft waders recently...I haven't used them yet, but they seem a lot nicer than the Redington Palix River waders I'm replacing.  They feel like they'll be a lot more durable, but I really can't comment on that since I just bought them.  They're worth a look, reviews are all pretty good.

I get an average of two seasons with a wader before they start to deteriorate.  Then maybe get one more year with patching. My LL Bean stocking foots just started leaking in one of the booties.  Going back to boot foots because I’m tired of dealing with gravel and sand despite all the preventative measures.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Salt, rocks, barnacles, long walks on sand, short walks on sand, sun, cold, hot.....bad recipe for any material really.  Not sure there is a bullet proof brand out there, including the high dollar.  I haven;t found them yet.

That said, if you really like the Simms boot foots just get a pair of slip on korker spikes (or similar).

Edited by FoliFish

5mm wetsuit with a lavacore top with fleeced wading socks with 5mm boots . Its fleece lined inside but still keeps you warm after you find your rock and get ontop of it. 

2 hours ago, DZ said:

I get an average of two seasons with a wader before they start to deteriorate.  Then maybe get one more year with patching. My LL Bean stocking foots just started leaking in one of the booties.  Going back to boot foots because I’m tired of dealing with gravel and sand despite all the preventative measures.  

I think we scared them away. All the boot foot waders besides simms have pretty mediocre reviews now a days.   My two different version of beans are going back.  

No such thing as bulletproof breathables. I have a pair of patagonia rio gallegos right now that are significantly tougher (slightly heavier fabric, layer of foam padding on the knee) than the various ll beans I've gone through. These waders are hotter/sweatier than ll bean kennebec to the point I wouldn't wear them on a hot summer night or a lot of hiking in warm temps. Great for spring/fall. 

They are much more $$ and I'm sure a lot of that is brand name tax, but the quality is there, they have a ton of sizes, and supposedly the company will work with you on resolving wear and tear issues. If you get lucky like me you can find a way to pay a whole lot less than msrp

Loved the stocking foots... until the booties go.  They (booties)  are very difficult to patch.  The rest of the breathable fabric is very easy.  Seams are the wild card in both.  

27 mins ago, Auce said:

I'm on my tenth season and wear them about 100 days a year.

My Simms were the longest lasting wader I ever had.  I think I had four years before the booties went.    Paid about four - five hundred for them.  Now around 7 hundred?