NYC beginner locations & tips

Rate this topic

Goose

On 9/21/2020 at 5:26 AM, Surf bomber said:

Be careful you don’t get robbed of your gear I would fish the just after sun up hopefully most of bad folks are gone and the rats will be in their holes not on the sidewalks.for your own safety try and stay south of 72 Nd street 

Wow.  You trash people with every post you make - not just this one. 

On 9/21/2020 at 8:35 AM, Bjorn240 said:

Respectfully, it's not 1977.  I lived in NYC for 10+ years and fished all hours of the day and night and never had a bad experience.  I wouldn't leave my gear on the sidewalk while I popped into Starbucks, but the likelihood of someone robbing you of your fishing tackle is infinitesimal.  Tristan454 I'll send you some tips via PM.

No access to PM’s currently but when that time does come I’ll be sure to get in touch. Thanks! 

(*member formerly known as ‘Tristan454’)

I fish all over nyc from Manhattan to Brooklyn. There are plenty of piers you can find with a google search and google maps And follow the coast line.

I haven’t had a ton of luck with lures I catch fish here and there using SP minnows, but to have a good day on the water chunking is a must and you will see plenty of fisherman only chunking. 

shoot me a message I can help you out with some spots 

1 min ago, Joeny718 said:

I fish all over nyc from Manhattan to Brooklyn. There are plenty of piers you can find with a google search and google maps And follow the coast line.

I haven’t had a ton of luck with lures I catch fish here and there using SP minnows, but to have a good day on the water chunking is a must and you will see plenty of fisherman only chunking. 

shoot me a message I can help you out with some spots 

I really appreciate the help here, I’ve only recently joined so don’t have access to PM’s yet. That being said I think I’ll have access shortly so will catch up with you once I am approved. 

On 9/20/2020 at 8:48 PM, Tristan454 said:

Hi All,

Although I’ve fished all my life (mainly freshwater) I started fishing for stripers earlier this year on a trip to the Hamptons with some friends and I can honestly say after returning from that trip I’m completely addicted. I live in Manhattan and don’t have a car but am keen to explore some of the local hot spots in the surrounding areas and even venture out to Long Island. I’ve fished across the jetties at the Rockaways and had some success with Minnows and jigs but would like to understand where else I can fish in the NYC area by taking public transportation and the odd taxi ride. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations? 

Thanks,

Tristan

It sounds as though you have many adventures ahead - good for you. There’s a good tackle shop in Midtown - make sure you and they become friendly - they’ll know. This may also be a place to meet other locals locals. 

That aside, use the Internet. There’re a lot of NYC fishing conversations to find. I’ve read many. 

Really dig through the NY Stripers Online forum. 

Find a likely spot and learn it. I’d look for: 1) clean water, 2) a small river or stream entering larger water, 3) structure (could be rocks, bridges (my fav), a point of land), 4) something else: minnows, crabs, mussels/clams.  The if you find these, there will be fish to catch.  

Experience will guide you to which species. Each has a nuanced method. So, fish at night. Fish early morning. Evening. Rising tide. Falling tide. Near the top of the tide. Near the bottom. With lures. With bait. With other lures. 

You have a good month or more left this year (and it’s a good time!) and all winter to research and explore. 

Keep us posted. 

14 mins ago, Paul E said:

It sounds as though you have many adventures ahead - good for you. There’s a good tackle shop in Midtown - make sure you and they become friendly - they’ll know. This may also be a place to meet other locals locals. 

That aside, use the Internet. There’re a lot of NYC fishing conversations to find. I’ve read many. 

Really dig through the NY Stripers Online forum. 

Find a likely spot and learn it. I’d look for: 1) clean water, 2) a small river or stream entering larger water, 3) structure (could be rocks, bridges (my fav), a point of land), 4) something else: minnows, crabs, mussels/clams.  The if you find these, there will be fish to catch.  

Experience will guide you to which species. Each has a nuanced method. So, fish at night. Fish early morning. Evening. Rising tide. Falling tide. Near the top of the tide. Near the bottom. With lures. With bait. With other lures. 

You have a good month or more left this year (and it’s a good time!) and all winter to research and explore. 

Keep us posted. 

Thanks Paul, I’ve been to Capitol Tackle in Midtown a number of times but very much for my freshwater adventures in Central Park.  Will head there again this week though to have a conversation with them. Thanks for your words of wisdom. I’ve also just ordered some John Skinner and Zeno Hromin books to help me on my way. 

Soft plastics around structure is the key to NYC river fishing. Don't waste your time with plugs, water generally moves too fast. No need to join a silly club, just do some research and put in some time and you'll have plenty of spots all to yourself. Like everything else in NYC, good fishing real estate is worth its weight in gold, so once you find spots hold your cards close. 

On 9/22/2020 at 5:42 PM, Tristan454 said:

Thanks Paul, I’ve been to Capitol Tackle in Midtown a number of times but very much for my freshwater adventures in Central Park.  Will head there again this week though to have a conversation with them. Thanks for your words of wisdom. I’ve also just ordered some John Skinner and Zeno Hromin books to help me on my way. 

Tristan, I would also recommend Doc Muller books, The Ultimate Surfcasting Guide and Fishing with Bucktails (different book than Mr. Skinner's). I'm halfway through the latter, and it is a great resource. 

I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor. 

Hi Tristan,

It's kind of amusing that many  people are surprised at the amount of fishing you can do in NYC - were on island(s) with water all around.

Freshwise - People are often surprised to see fishing in Central Park - are there fish in there? can you fish here? what are you fishing for? - Jimmy Hoffa I often say - not so funny now as they pulled a body from the Pond a few weeks ago and a fisherman pulled another body from the Meer last week. I have fished Central Park often the past 5 years (5 times plus a week when I lived near the Pond), for some reason the fishing (fish) seems to have dropped off heavily the past 2 years. Capitol Fishing is saltier than fresh but the young guy in there fishes fresh a lot.

Saltwise - I usually chunk on the Hudson out of boredom, but much nicer to take a train out to Long Island or NJ shore for the day or an overnight. In the city there are also some pet stores that carry fishing supplies and bait (my local pet store makes regular runs over to City Island for worms and bunker).

Safety wise - it's the city and now things are worse than they have been in a long, long time (in the past 37 years I have lived here), your'e usually ok during the day, but at night you really need to be careful and not be in remote spots, or even some "crowded" spots. I used to fish the Pond a lot at night, and you'd be surprised (or not) at the crap that goes on 50 yards from the corner of 59th st and 5th Ave. I do always carry a nice knife no matter where I fish, luckily the only unpleasant run ins I have had are from semi hysterical people threatening to call the police for fishing (in legal fishing spots), telling me I'm torturing animals, etc - all women.  

Enjoy and be safe

Peter

(*member previously known as 'petergulickjr')