Tristan454

NYC beginner locations & tips

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Although I’ve fished all my life (mainly freshwater) I started fishing for stripers earlier this year on a trip to the Hamptons with some friends and I can honestly say after returning from that trip I’m completely addicted. I live in Manhattan and don’t have a car but am keen to explore some of the local hot spots in the surrounding areas and even venture out to Long Island. I’ve fished across the jetties at the Rockaways and had some success with Minnows and jigs but would like to understand where else I can fish in the NYC area by taking public transportation and the odd taxi ride. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations? 

Thanks,

Tristan

I’m sorry but this isn’t the right place to ask where to fish. We don’t allow overly specific locations to be discussed here. But the folks here will help you understand how to fish and how to fins spots to fish - they just won’t tell you where to stand :) 

TimS

Posted (edited) · Report post

you can fish anywhere on manhattan.  i dont think there is a place where they specifically prohibit it.
just use your FW rod and go fling some metal lures around the whole island.

i probably wouldnt use bucktails or jigs on the bottom,  who knows what crap is on the bottom to snag.

Edited by ooeric

16 mins ago, ooeric said:

you can fish anywhere on manhattan.  i dont think there is a place where they specifically prohibit it.
just use your FW rod and go fling some metal lures around the whole island.

i probably wouldnt use bucktails or jigs on the bottom,  who knows what crap is on the bottom to snag.

Great thanks! Will give that a go. 

Like Tim said, if you want tips on gear or techniques, people will gladly give you a hand. As far as locations go, that's up to you. Google earth is a good start, and try to research accessibility before heading to a spot.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Be careful you don’t get robbed of your gear I would fish the just after sun up hopefully most of bad folks are gone and the rats will be in their holes not on the sidewalks.for your own safety try and stay south of 72 Nd street 

Edited by Surf bomber

11 hours ago, Tristan454 said:

Hi All,

Although I’ve fished all my life (mainly freshwater) I started fishing for stripers earlier this year on a trip to the Hamptons with some friends and I can honestly say after returning from that trip I’m completely addicted. I live in Manhattan and don’t have a car but am keen to explore some of the local hot spots in the surrounding areas and even venture out to Long Island. I’ve fished across the jetties at the Rockaways and had some success with Minnows and jigs but would like to understand where else I can fish in the NYC area by taking public transportation and the odd taxi ride. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations? 

Thanks,

Tristan

Join the Brooklyn Fishing Club. Great group of guys. 

3 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

Be careful you don’t get robbed of your gear I would fish the just after sun up hopefully most of bad folks are gone and the rats will be in their holes not on the sidewalks.for your own safety try and stay south of 72 Nd street 

Respectfully, it's not 1977.  I lived in NYC for 10+ years and fished all hours of the day and night and never had a bad experience.  I wouldn't leave my gear on the sidewalk while I popped into Starbucks, but the likelihood of someone robbing you of your fishing tackle is infinitesimal.  Tristan454 I'll send you some tips via PM.

Unlike freshwater these fish have a lot more room to swim which can seem overwhelming at time even for the most experienced surfcaster.

Understanding migration patterns for your local waters and what kind of structure the fish you are targeting gravitate towards will be the key to unlocking consistent fishing. NY is not my home state but I can tell you that there are Striped Bass swimming around the city all year long if you know where to look.

Consider hiring a local fishing guide to help shorten the learning curve a bit. Most techniques and strategies can be applied across the entire coast and especially within the same state.  

9 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Unlike freshwater these fish have a lot more room to swim which can seem overwhelming at time even for the most experienced surfcaster.

Understanding migration patterns for your local waters and what kind of structure the fish you are targeting gravitate towards will be the key to unlocking consistent fishing. NY is not my home state but I can tell you that there are Striped Bass swimming around the city all year long if you know where to look.

Consider hiring a local fishing guide to help shorten the learning curve a bit. Most techniques and strategies can be applied across the entire coast and especially within the same state.  

Thanks for the advice on this one - I hadn't thought about a fishing guide but will definitely look into it.

Google Earth is one of the greatest tools for identifying potential fishing grounds.

As long as you have some idea regarding the types of geographic structure Which hold fish then you don’t need anyone else to tell you where to look.

Do your own research and keep your findings to yourself.

Good luck.

Public transit only might be tough.  Public transit + bike will bring you lots of options.  Any park on the water's edge or beach. Street end without a fence...  

8 mins ago, hobobob said:

Public transit only might be tough.  Public transit + bike will bring you lots of options.  Any park on the water's edge or beach. Street end without a fence...  

Thanks, a bike is also an option that I will be utilizing on this journey. 

If you spend some time searching this site and others you can find some discussion of fishing the Hudson and East River. Honestly though, most of the guys who are regulars at the Hudson piers near me are soaking chunks of bunker unless they see breaking fish. Even in the kayak, I think most of the larger blues I've taken from the harbor have been on chunks.