rathrbefishn

Circle hooks for bluegills?

23 posts in this topic

When i take my kid out for panfish i use a TMC 200R fly tying hook and crush the barb. Some still get hooked deep but that long shank makes it easy to remove most of the time, and i bet they would rust out in no time at all when/if i have to cut one off. They get hooked pretty good with that hook. There is no reason to use a circle hook. 

23 hours ago, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

circle hooks will be too hard.

use a long shank for panfish

thats what I use

Yep.  IME long shank wire aberdeen hooks  are not only cheap, but they also rust out quickly and the longer shank provide a measure of protection from gut hooking when it comes to kids and panfish.

I've tried using circle hooks with panfish a few years ago thinking I can eliminate gut hooking. But as others mentioned, panfish, bluegill in particular don't run with the bait. The longer you wait to set the hook the deeper they swallow. I ended up with even worst results using circle hooks because they don't hook fish until they are pulled out, allowing fish to get them into gullets. And getting a circle hook from gullet is much more difficult than a J-hook. 

As others recommended, use a long shank for panfish (and maybe as big as the fish size allows). In my experience, it is the best way to avoid gut hooking. 

Although not good for panfish, circle hooks are great for many other types of fish. Just to be clear. 

On 9/21/2020 at 11:11 PM, bennie said:

Hehe,,,,:wee:  maybe I'm just crazy or maybe it doesn't matter what gear you're using,,,,,,,,:D

And maybe if you think that catfish are panfish...

9 hours ago, bennie said:

Hehe,,,,and catch the bait on the same hook as the catfish,,,,,,,:laugh:

Good catch. The original question was about small fish, namely about avoiding gut hooking small bluegill. But I see your point, and absolutely agree - there is no way you can gut-hook small bluegill with these hooks.

25 mins ago, Dima said:

Good catch. The original question was about small fish, namely about avoiding gut hooking small bluegill. But I see your point, and absolutely agree - there is no way you can gut-hook small bluegill with these hooks.

There is one trick to a circle hook,,,,,,:wee: if you spend it backwards,,,,,then it pops out,,,,,,,,:D